[Michlib-l] Virtual Author Visit: Mary Crockett Hill

Nicole Brobston nbrobston at whitelakelibrary.org
Wed Nov 11 16:46:03 EST 2020

  Hi all!
White Lake Township Library is hosting a virtual author visit with Mary
Crockett Hill for our teens and young at heart YA lovers on Friday December
11 at 6:30pmSpecial Guest, Mary Crockett Hill has worked as everything from
a history museum director to a toilet seat hand model, and now she’s here
to discuss her current job as a YA Author (which she does when she’s not
busy being a college professor). Come ask questions, deliberate over her
book How She Died, How I Lived , and revel in this zoom experience.. Mary
is the author of *How She Died, How I lived *and is an old college
professor of mine. We are so excited to be able to host her, but wanted to
open up the event to those outside of our own township!
Please share with your students and patrons!

*A summary of How She Died, How I lived:  **I was one of five. The five
girls Kyle texted that day. The girls it could have been. Only
Jamie--beautiful, saintly Jamie--was kind enough to respond. And it got her
killed.*

On the eve of Kyle's sentencing a year after Jamie's death, all the other
"chosen ones" are coping in various ways. But our tenacious narrator is
full of anger, stuck somewhere between the horrifying past and the unknown
future as she tries to piece together why she gets to live, while Jamie is
dead.

Now she finds herself drawn to Charlie, Jamie's boyfriend--knowing all the
while that their relationship will always be haunted by what-ifs and
why-nots. Is hope possible in the face of such violence? Is forgiveness?
How do you go on living when you know it could have been you instead?

*A description of our event*: Special Guest, Mary Crockett Hill has worked
as everything from a history museum director to a toilet seat hand model,
and now she’s here to discuss her current job as a YA Author (which she
does when she’s not busy being a college professor). Come ask questions,
deliberate over her book How She Died, How I Lived , and revel in this zoom
experience.

*A link to sign up to our event: *
http://whitelakelibrary.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails?EventId=4510&ag=&et=&df=calendar&cn=0&private=0&ln=0&backTo=Calendar&startDate=2020/12/01

--

*Nicole Brobston, MLISYouth Librarian*
*White Lake Township Library*

*“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get
better. It’s not.” - The Lorax*