[Michlib-l] Surveying Patrons on Hours

Jessica Ishmael jishmael at lincolnlib.org
Sat Sep 19 14:00:06 EDT 2020

Hi Everyone,

(Pre-COVID-19) Is there anyone that has previously surveyed their patrons about their hours of operation?

My board is thinking about adjusting library operation hours. Current thought is just a slight shift: opening 30min earlier 4-5 days out of the week, and close at 8pm instead of 9pm Mon-Thu. Then someone threw out there that years ago one tax-paying patron bemoaned that we are closed on Sundays.

Instead of speculating, the board would like me to survey our patrons to get feedback about what hours/days they would like to see us  open.

I'm looking for guidance on how to best do that. Are there parameters that should be decided first by the board? Do we share  those parameters with the patrons at this level, or not yet? Should we leave it blank to see what they say?

What would be helpful questions to ask our patrons instead of asking for a blank schedule?

(For context, our library reopened June 8th at full operational hours. My board is looking at this putting COVID-19 considerations aside.)

Thank you for your help!

Best,

Jessica Ishmael
Director