[Michlib-l] Discomfort with Wednesday post about "neutrality"

bellairelibrary at torchlake.com bellairelibrary at torchlake.com
Mon Apr 19 14:37:11 EDT 2021

I have to admit, I saved that post so I could re-read it because I felt
I was missing the respondent's point. I am the first one to feel that
email is not the best way to express myself, so thank you Kristin for
the well-done comments. I know we here at Bellaire often walk the fine
line between making sure we are remaining welcoming to all and being
everything our community wants us to be.

---
Cindi L. Place, MLIS
Director, Bellaire Public Library
bellairelibrary at torchlake.com
231-533-8814

On 2021-04-17 13:12, Holly Kirsten via Michlib-l wrote:

> Thank you for replying, Kristin. I had actually tried to begin to
> compose a reply on the day the post in question appeared. I was working
> at the reference desk at the time, and since I couldn't quickly find
> the right words when I got interrupted I just let it go. I figured
> someone else out there would reply, especially with all the great
> workshops a lot of us recently attended for Spring Institute. This just
> teaches me that I can't wait for someone else.
>
> Holly Kirsten Head of Information and Outreach Services
> Chesterfield Township Library
>
> p: 586-598-4900 ext. 235 a: 50560 Patricia St. Chesterfield, MI 48051
> w: chelibrary.org [10]
>
> Raising a reader is: Talking * Singing * Reading * Writing * Playing
>
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 3:36 PM Kristin Fontichiaro via Michlib-l
> <michlib-l at mcls.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello, all --
>>
>> There was a post on this earlier this week in which a librarian asked
>> for advice on policies that would help her library navigate the
>> pushback some of her DEI posts are receiving. Their query received one
>> response. Admitting that they had not viewed the content in question,
>> the respondent argued that the profession should be more careful about
>> betraying neutrality and that we would do well to walk more in the
>> shoes of our (assumed majority white) patrons and plan posts
>> accordingly.
>>
>> I have been really uncomfortable about that for the past few days and
>> have been waiting for someone to pipe up and voice concern about it.
>> And now I am more uncomfortable that no one has, so I guess it's time
>> for me to.
>>
>> Our profession's Code of Ethics advocates for equitable access and
>> service for all [1] and that we leave our personal perspectives at the
>> door when we show up to work to live out the library's mission. The
>> Code of Ethics never actually says, "Be neutral," or, "Equity matters,
>> but if it ruffles a few feathers, just let it go." I am haunted by
>> Elie Wiesel's articulation that, "Neutrality helps the oppressor,
>> never the victim [2]." When we ask whose shoes we should be walking
>> in, we might do better to ask who is most in need of empathy and whose
>> perspectives are most underrrepresented.
>>
>> I'm no DEI expert. I know how far I have to go in my own journey and
>> that I have said and done dumb or hurtful things when I didn't know
>> better. But if we are going to say we're proud to serve all, we have
>> to acknowledge that this should not be a self-congratulatory pat on
>> the back but a call to action.
>>
>> I don't believe that shame is an effective learning tool [3], and I am
>> NOT writing this to provoke angry jabs at the respondent. We may share
>> a goal of equity but have different paths of getting there. Libraries
>> outside of metropolitan areas serve very different communities from
>> those in more diverse areas, and our action steps toward equity may
> [...]

Links:
------
[1]
http://www.ala.org/united/sites/ala.org.united/files/content/trustees/orgtools/policies/ALA-code-of-ethics.pdf