[Michlib-l] Social Media Thread

Kim True ktrue at lincolnlib.org
Wed Apr 21 20:36:14 EDT 2021

Hello all!

Over the last week I've been collecting my thoughts regarding what has transpired through my inbox. I thought I had asked a fairly standard marketing  question: What does your library's Social Media response policy look like when comments touch on divisive social issues?

Many of the responses I've received have been sent directly to my email and I'm compiling a great list of resources for my team (THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!).

Some people have reached out asking for me to pass along information that I come across - I promise I'm getting it together for anyone who has contacted me!

However, this very public response was not one I had expected to receive but the conversation it sparked has been invaluable for me!

While my personal opinions are just that, personal, the fact is our world is much larger than our backyards and should be acknowledged and celebrated as such! Libraries opened my mind to so many different possibilities growing up and it still does every time I'm out in the stacks. Where else can someone walk around with decades of knowledge from all over the world in a single bag and all you need is a little barcode?

I'm working closely with our departments to expand diversity, equality and inclusivity within our collection development and programming because we want EVERYONE to feel comfortable within our walls and find something that speaks to them. Spotlighting book picks and acknowledging important events and these "The More You Know" moments through our social media is just one part of our focus. And I'm very proud of what our staff here is accomplishing as well as so many of the libraries I've looked into across the state of Michigan over the last few weeks because of this email thread!

I want to say a BIG thank you to all who have emailed me directly or through Michlib to provide resources or information on your own policies. It's true, if you ever need to find an answer or crowdsource a topic, ask a Librarian. :)

Please reach out to me if you would like me to forward along information to you, if you have ideas for me or if you would just like to start a dialogue regarding this topic!

Kim True
Head of Acquisitions and Public Services

Lincoln Township Public Library
2099 W. John Beers Rd
Stevensville, MI 49127
(269) 429-9575 ext 114