[Michlib-l] Discomfort with Wednesday post about "neutrality"

Kat Boyer librarykat.15 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 12:52:17 EDT 2021

It has come to my attention that I should clarify my statement that; I
agree Amy's statement that libraries are for everyone and no one should be
made to feel uncomfortable within this space.

Kat Boyer
Director
Benton Harbor Public Library
213 E Wall St.
Benton Harbor, MI 49022

On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 11:39 AM Kat Boyer <librarykat.15 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to second what Amy has said.
> It can be a fine and hard line to determine, as information can have
> political ramifications, but librarians are not necessarily to use their
> job to make a political stance.  Everyone should feel welcome in the
> library, everyone.
> Kat Boyer
> Director
> Benton Harbor Public Library
> 213 E Wall St.
> Benton Harbor, MI 49022
>

> On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 11:09 AM Amelia Nolan via Michlib-l <
> michlib-l at mcls.org> wrote:
>
>> Karyn, I would like to thank you for posting your concerns to the
>> listserv that many of us share about the profession becoming too political.
>> I think the fact that many emailed you privately but were afraid to put
>> their names out there speaks volumes.
>>

>> Activism isn't our calling but instead we should continue to provide the
>> public with equal access to information of all stripes and to treat all
>> people with dignity and respect. I believe that is what makes libraries
>> such vital places in a democracy and makes me proud to be in this
>> profession.
>>

>> *Amy Nolan*
>>
>> *Children's Services Supervisor*
>>
>> *St. Joseph Public Library*
>>
>> *269-983-7167*
>>

>> ------------------------------

>>> for themselves. And continue to not discriminate when it comes to who has
>>> access.
>>>
>>> https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/critical-race-theory-fight/
>>>
>>> Thank you, THIS will be the last of my comments on this specific post.
>>>
>>> Karyn Ruley
>>> Technology Associate
>>>
>>> Crawford County Library
>>>
>>> (1st response)
>>> Hello -
>>>
>>>   First, I would like to thank everyone for their kind and civil
>>> know this is a delicate subject. That being said, I actually did receive
>>> several responses to my post - all of them positive, all of them
>>> private. Many
>>> unfortunately fear speaking out about this topic when they have a certain
>>> view. I wish more would find the courage.
>>>
>>>   I'd like to clarify my use of the word neutral. As libraries, we are
>>> funded
>>> with taxpayer dollars and are therefore not to take public stances on
>>> political issues. This IS a political issue with opposing sides and
>>> statistics, some believing that white privilege is not a true concept,
>>> that
>>> our country is not systemically racist, that "decolonizing" our
>>> collections is
>>> wrong, etc. Posting about diversity and inclusivity (linked topics) DOES
>>> upset
>>> a good portion of the patronage whether you agree with the subject and
>>> feel
>>> it's your mission or not. We have to be mindful that we serve our
>>> individual
>>> communities and not our own causes with our library positions and other
>>> citizens' tax dollars.
>>>
>>>   As long as we are following the ALA guidelines and asking ourselves the
>>> questions I mentioned, as well as creating collections that fit our
>>> communities and not our own ideals, we are on the right track. It is not
>>> our
>>> place to tell our patrons what to think or how to behave on the world
>>> scale,
>>> it is our job to provide them with materials that fit their needs and
>>> interests to let them make up their own minds.
>>>

>>> Karyn Ruley
>>> Technology Associate
>>>
>>> Crawford County Library
>>>
>>> (2nd response)
>>> Hello, again -
>>>
>>>   I feel I need to clarify a couple more things and then I am no longer
>>> commenting on this particular post as I don’t believe this is the place
>>> for
>>> continuous debate. I will remain a voice on the subject and any other if
>>> feel I need to be, and hope the fear of cancellation doesn’t keep others
>>> quiet.
>>>
>>>   I want to say I didn’t assume everyone’s patron demographics are
>>> majority
>>> white. I was originally speaking directly to the OP and took a look at
>>> her