[Michlib-l] Oral Histories

Barbara Gordon bgordon at cass.lib.mi.us
Mon Apr 26 11:25:42 EDT 2021

Hello,

I am looking for some expertise related to the use of oral history tapes
and transcriptions in our library. A number of oral histories were recorded
in the 1970s by the library. The cassettes contain interviews with local
African American community members who had knowledge of and/or family
history tied to our county's active Underground Railroad. Formal consent
was not obtained during the making of these tapes. In the time since the
tapes were made, a published index of participant names was made available
to researchers. While I am not certain, I do believe researchers have been
given access to these tapes as well. There is a renewed interest in this
collection and the library has received requests for access to the tapes.
It is my understanding that without signed consent forms, the library does
not have copyright to these historical records. I would appreciate the
opportunity to better understand what, if any, options we may have for
making these invaluable resources available.

Thank you!

--
Barbara Gordon, MLS
Director