[Michlib-l] Oral Histories

Gary R. Cocozzoli gcocozzol at ltu.edu
Tue Apr 27 11:59:08 EDT 2021

One of our staff is involved with the Michigan Oral History Association,
and she sent this question, and got two replies which could be helpful:

*1. Cam, professor at U of Mich.*

Consent needs to be obtained from the individuals, if possible.  If
interviewees have passed, then consent should be sought from families and
an offer should be made to return the tapes to them.

There is an opportunity to connect here.  Interviewees and their families
may be quite happy to see the tapes curated and made available (and have
input into that).  But, the stories are theirs to publish or not.

That’s my assessment;  it is hard to lose material or to risk losing
material.  But, it’s not your material to lose in this case.  It’s your
material to return - either as a cool exhibit/collection or as a direct
return back to the interviewees/families.

I’m guessing university counsel will give you similar feedback.  Another
issue may be exactly how old the recordings are.  That might resolve the
copyright question from a legal standpoint (eventually), but the ethical
issue would remain.

best,
Cam

*2. Russ, retired professor from N. Mich. U.*

Answer to your question: try to find the family and get them to sign the
form; also offer them a vocal and transcript of the interview as
grandchildren usually like to hear the voice of their grandparents and
their ideas on tape. Otherwise, indicate some way in paper through a memo
to put on file that you tried to contact the family and add the necessary
detail for legal purposes. If all fails I would remove the name of the
individual and list it as “anonymous.” This is a dilemma since you are
holding fine memories that should not get lost. The other position that
some institutions take is that the individual did the interview and by this
act decided that his/her memories were valuable and gave the tape to the
library. Your legal counsel could think this out. I seriously doubt that a
judge in court is going to take a different position. But first try to find
the family and get a signature.

Best,
Russell

Gary Cocozzoli