[Michlib-l] Building Refresh & Remodel Experiences

Jessica Ishmael jishmael at lincolnlib.org
Fri Apr 30 14:42:22 EDT 2021

Hello Collective Brain!

Our Library is considering a refresh project consisting of: new paint, carpeting, furnishings, and (the biggie) all new shelving.

If your own library has recently (past 5 years) undergone a similar project, could you share your experience? I've got a short list of questions below; feel free to either email me direct or give a call and we can connect conversationally.

  *   Size (square foot) of library?
  *   Did you close all or part of the library? What were decision factors?
  *   How did you handle logistics of installing new shelving and boxing/unboxing of books? How much was handled by in-house staff versus hiring a 3rd party service? Approx cost?
  *   Did you hire a project manager? Why/Not? Approx cost? Worth it?
  *   What went really well?
  *   What went badly?
  *   What would you do differently?
  *   What do you wish you would have known at the start of the project?

Thank you in advance!

Best,

Jessica Ishmael
Director