[Michlib-l] New equity and social justice principle added to ALA Code of Ethics

Steven K. Bowers sbowers at tln.lib.mi.us
Mon Aug 9 10:26:49 EDT 2021

Kelsey,

Thank you for posting your thoughts and encouraging the group to engage in conversation rather than making any personal attacks on individuals or groups.

The addition of the 9th principle is important to me because it is explicit in identifying that there is work to be done by libraries. It is important to be explicit specifically because not everyone thinks it is important and, as this discussion shows, some feel it should not be part of our work. It is explicit so that it is understood that even if individuals among us (perhaps even a majority) have not experienced a lack of dignity, or rights, or biases, or oppression, some individuals have had a less favorable experience, even at our libraries. If we do not take actions to address inequity in our domain then we are contributing to inequality in society as a whole.

Explicitly doing social and racial justice work to include the marginalized does not distract or take away from our work to have services for everyone. It does, however, send an explicit message to the marginalized that our services are for them, that they are included, that libraries should support diversity, and that we are working on providing services that bring about equity. The code of ethics calls for equity, not equality. Equality would be to treat everyone the same whereas equity means to take action to bring about equality since there are demonstrable inequalities historically and in reality today.

Laws make many groups, but not all, equal; equality by law does not necessarily bring about equity of access, resources, and services. Yes, there are a lot of nice people in libraries and in our communities but having nice library personnel does not bring about change in equitable services. The 9th principle is explicitly stating that although the other principles in the code of ethics call for equity we have to actively work to make changes that make equity a reality. Good, nice people at libraries are starting to incorporate processes, policies, and programs in their organizations so that we can work on including everyone because stating that libraries treat everyone equally is not enough.

The Library Network is working on making demonstrable changes to help our libraries take actions to incorporate principles of equity, diversity, and inclusion. We are doing the same, internally at our cooperative offices. We have scheduled sessions this past year and have more coming up to have discussions and workshops to help bring understanding and awareness. Further sessions will help us to begin work to self-assess and start to identify how we can make changes. Our forthcoming workshop series is meant to help us identify individuals who will help us form a team to champion this ongoing work as we move forward.

Sincerely,

-Steve

Steven K. Bowers
Executive Director