[Michlib-l] New equity and social justice principle added to ALA Code of Ethics

OJ Amber Mclain amclain at patmoslibrary.org
Mon Aug 9 11:02:13 EDT 2021

I agree. I sent this on Saturday but it did not seem to go through, so I will resend here:
Kelsey, you say: "Particularly, tenet six refers to avoiding the advancement of private interests at the expense of library users and colleagues. I understand that some people believe in the type of activism inferred in the new ethic. However, this may not be the case for all employees or all library users. "
Dismantling systems and confronting biases that have historically and continue to disadvantage minority groups (LGBTQIA+ and BIPIOC in particular) are not "private interests" - they are actions that must be taken to ensure that all have equal access to information and resources. Just because this has not happened at your library does not mean the occupation as a whole has not been guilty of this historically. This is about correcting the path and moving forward in the right direction. How would this be "at the expense" of other library users? If we, as a profession, are truly treating everyone equally and with respect as you seem to claim, how does this change anything? Why does confronting racism, sexism, homophobia and other systems of oppression that are so engrained in our history as a nation AND continue to this day make so many uncomfortable, if not that it would mean something in the individual or the group's behavior must change? It's worth some introspection.

Amber McLain Library Director, Patmos Library
(she/hers/hers)