[Michlib-l] Information Literacy and Public Libraries

Tamara Denby tdenby at clinton.lib.mi.us
Tue Aug 31 10:22:39 EDT 2021

Hi Adreanne,

This summer, we used funds from a Library of Michigan/IMLS Public Library
Services grant to teach a series of technology literacy classes. While the
focus was not on information literacy, I thought I might offer some helpful
insight.

Our project focused on teaching technology use through creative
processes/projects. For example, we taught the use of Windows PC computers,
digital drawing tablets, iPads, and digital drawing software by offering a
Drawing Anime class. If you break it down, students acquired/practiced a
number of new skills in the class that could be applied in an infinite
number of other situations/scenarios. Thus, the classes provided hands-on
technology training while the learners explored their creative interests.
You might say it disguised the learning, in a way. I found early on that
most of our patrons respond better to library activities that resemble
enrichment programs (versus educational).

Our other classes were podcasting, stop-action movie-making, digital
photography, and digital photo editing.

Tech-wise, we used laptops, ipads, and a few of our patron computers for
our classes. We moved them into our meeting room for the classes and set up
an individual station for each attendee. Also, because resources were
limited, we offered each class more than once. This was actually a blessing
in disguise. Not only did it assure we had a device for each student, but
it also kept the groups smaller,which meant we could give learners more
one-on-one support.

I would be happy to share more information with you if you're interested.
Feel free to contact me, and good luck with your project!

Tamara

On Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 4:38 PM Laura Warren-Gross via Michlib-l <
michlib-l at mcls.org> wrote:

> Hi Adrianne:
>

> There are several great infographics and promotional pieces regarding
> information literacy (and MeL use) on the MeL Library Staff Page (Library
> Staff - Library Staff - Michigan eLibrary at Michigan eLibrary, Library of
> Michigan (mel.org) <https://mel.org/staff> ) including the Information
> Literacy Top 3 Basics. I also recommend scrolling down to the Search
> Strategies section to have a look at a few of the documents provided by
> EBSCO such as the difference between MeL eResources and a general Internet
> search, the differences among different types of publications, and how to
> assess trustworthy resources. A discussion of a few of these with exemplar
> articles from different types of sources might be a good way to do a
> hands-on activity about information literacy without everyone having a
> computer/device in the moment.
>

> Laura

Tamara Denby
Clinton Township Public Library - Lenawee
A Universe of discoveries at your fingertips