[Michlib-l] In library laptop lending

Grimm, Erica grimmel at myjdl.com
Tue Aug 31 12:22:49 EDT 2021

Hi everyone,

My library branch is testing a model of having fewer fixed computer stations and adding laptops for in-branch use to help with demand surges and social distancing, which leads to the question of how to manage them so there's some chance they'll be returned or there's a record of who has what, especially if staff changes throughout the day? So, I'm looking for feedback from all of you with in-branch use laptops, what's your process for managing and securing them?  Do you have patrons fill out a user agreement?  Do you take their driver's license/ID as collateral? If the person doesn't have driver's license or ID, is there an alternative thing that you collect? Or do you require a library card and check it out like a regular library item but for a shorter time period, such as a few hours?  Also, do you allow minors, specifically unaccompanied minors, to use in-branch laptops?

A few things to note: we don't use RFID or other security tags on our library items, we do use CASSIE by Librarica for all our public computers, these laptops included. We've recently moved back into a renovated and expanded building, so there are more spaces that aren't in staff's direct line of sight.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Erica

Erica Grimm
Brooklyn Branch Manager