[Michlib-l] FW: FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: APPLICATION FOR THE AMANDA GREEN SCHOLARSHIP FUND OPENS JANUARY 1, 2022

Farrell Howe FarrellH at kpl.gov
Mon Dec 27 13:49:46 EST 2021

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 27, 2021

CONTACT
Farrell Howe
Marketing & Communications Manager
Kalamazoo Public Library
269.553.7879
Farrellh at kpl.gov

Application for the Amanda Green Scholarship Fund Opens January 1, 2022.
Deadline to apply is March 1, 2022

Kalamazoo, MI–Monday, December 27, 2021. Online application for the Amanda Green Scholarship Fund will open on Saturday, January 1, with a deadline to apply of March 1, 2022. The scholarship will be awarded to a student expected to attend a graduate-level library science program in fall 2022. The application process is managed by the Kalamazoo Community Foundation<https://www.kalfound.org/>.

Applicants interested in being considered for the Amanda Green Scholarship fund must first complete the online application on the Kalamazoo Community Foundation’s website<https://www.kalfound.org/Scholarships/HowtoApply/tabid/236/Default.aspx>. Information about eligibility can be found here<https://www.kpl.gov/about/news/kalamazoo-public-library-announces-new-scholarship-fund-to-promote-the-training-and-hiring-of-librarians-of-color/>.

The Amanda Green Scholarship, named after a former library assistant in Teen Services at KPL, promotes the library profession to people of color. By providing monetary assistance to individuals seeking a master’s degree from an accredited library science program, the library hopes to promote the training and hiring of more librarians of color in Kalamazoo and other communities.

In 2016, the Kalamazoo Public Library board passed a resolution that reaffirms the library’s commitment to, “address equal justice under the law, racial justice and institutional racism, social-economic divisions in our community and human dignity for all through our programs, services, policies, practices and the empowerment of staff to serve our community with these values as priorities.” In addition, the library’s 2019–22 strategic plan establishes Advancing Equity and Inclusion as a priority with a goal of developing and maintaining an informed and compassionate library staff that reflects the makeup of our diverse community. KPL is committed to making this a reality!

Amanda Green worked at KPL for 23 years (1988–2012.) Many of those years she spent in Teen Services working to give all teens the opportunity to improve their lives. Her passion and support of KPL’s mission to support and mentor teens has been passed on for years.

The Amanda Green Scholarship Fund relies on donations from the public. To donate, please visit www.kpl.gov/amandagreen<http://www.kpl.gov/amandagreen>.

####