[Michlib-l] Staff bonus' & giving away library books

Robert Holley aa3805 at wayne.edu
Thu Jan 28 12:18:45 EST 2021

The best language that appears in gift policies that I've seen is to simply state that once the library gets the gift it can do anything it wants with it. Some policies then go on to give examples. I also have argued strongly that the library should also never accept a gift where the donor requires giving it back if the library doesn't add it to the collection since this requirement overly complicates the process. An exception might be made if the gift is valuable, however the library might want to define the term.

Bob

Take care; be safe; stay healthy; hope that the vaccine takes hold quickly.

Dr. Robert P. Holley

Professor Emeritus, Wayne State University

13303 Borgman Avenue

Huntington Woods, MI  48070-1005

email: aa3805 at wayne.edu