[Michlib-l] Staff bonus' & giving away library books

Membiela, Clare (MDE) MembielaC at michigan.gov
Fri Jan 29 12:39:10 EST 2021

Hello Cindy:

There are methods in which to provide bonuses to staff, however it is important that your board work with your accountant, auditor and/or attorney on this because how the bonus is managed within the budget is crucial.

State laws on the expenditure of public funds prohibit gifts or recognition to staff paid for by the library. However, here are other types of bonus programs that could be implemented because they could be part of staff compensation. The rules can be complex, which is why it is important for your board to get the advice of a financial and/or legal professional.

I find the Michigan Municipal organization’s Handbook for Municipal Officials information on expenditures helpful
http://www.mml.org/pdf/resources/publications/ebooks/HMO_by_chapter/CH%2023%20Limits%20of%20Municipal%20Expenditures.pdf
(ch 23)

I hope this is helpful!

Sincerely,
Clare

Clare D. Membiela, MLS, J.D.
Library Law Consultant
Library of Michigan
MembielaC at michigan.gov<mailto:MembielaC at michigan.gov>
517-335-8132

The research and resources above are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem.