[Michlib-l] MI Diaries: new supports to enhance your summer library programming

Lancaster, Cathy (MDE) LancasterC5 at michigan.gov
Mon Jun 14 11:23:08 EDT 2021

The MI Diaries<https://www.mi-diaries.org/> project, run by Michigan State's Sociolinguistics Lab, is looking to connect with local libraries this summer!

We have been collecting "audio diaries" from Michiganders ages 3+ since April 2020, and will keep collecting them throughout the next few years as well. The project sends out weekly diary prompts, and diarists self-record their answers or anything they want to talk about into our app (for iOS<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mi-diaries/id1525241983> and Android<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=edu.msu.midiaries&hl=en_US&gl=US>). These diaries will help us understand how Michiganders' lives and language are changing! Anyone living in Michigan ages 3+ is eligible to become a diarist. Diarists can choose to opt-in to our partnership with the Library of Michigan, and we will share their anonymized recordings to the library's LM Digital<https://lmdigital.libraryofmichigan.org/about-lm-digital-collections> platform, for future Michiganders to access. Diarists can also earn Amazon gift cards for participating ($5 every 2 weeks, if they submit at least 15 minutes of audio diary).

We are looking to hear from more kids (ages 3+) and teens especially. As local librarians, you know your community and its needs best - and we would love to hear how we could support your already existing summer programming by connecting the MI Diaries project to it! Some possibilities that we've developed with local libraries so far are:

  *   Add our postcard into a "grab-and-go" bags
  *   Put up a flyer inviting kids and teens to join the project
  *   Create a library display about diary-related books, including a poster for MI Diaries
  *   Use MI Diaries as one of your weekly reading challenges
  *   Create a reading list for youth with diary-related or kids-in-historical-moment-related books

If you would like to get in touch with any other ideas or questions, please contact Dr. Betsy Sneller at sneller7 at msu.edu<mailto:sneller7 at msu.edu>.

Attached (also online<https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nUc1Knpe4JpTEB8FmRavh_Zxv2WPXCfQ?usp=sharing>) you will find to print & share with patrons:
*             An 8.5x11 separated into four "postcards" (that could fit nicely into a grab-and-go or summer reading kits),
*             Two 8.5x11 flyers, with slightly different wording for kids vs. teens,
*             An 11x17 sized flyer.

Thank you,

Betsy Sneller, PhD (she or they<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mypronouns.org%2F&data=04%7C01%7CLancasterC5%40michigan.gov%7C850b4b620cb94371f3dd08d92cf7361e%7Cd5fb7087377742ad966a892ef47225d1%7C0%7C0%7C637590262732357444%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=HOJuXCyBB0%2FFj9HJE6PgK39Bzn%2BR%2FRrXa5Lw6uHWIaA%3D&reserved=0>)
Assistant Professor of Linguistics
Michigan State University

Cathy Lancaster
Youth Services Coordinator
Library of Michigan
702 W. Kalamazoo St.
Lansing, MI 48915
My Pronouns: She/Her - See www.mypronouns.org<http://www.mypronouns.org/> to learn more.
LancasterC5 at michigan.gov<mailto:LancasterC5 at michigan.gov> | 517-335-8129 | www.mi.gov/libraryofmichigan<http://www.mi.gov/libraryofmichigan>
Follow us: Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/libraryofmichigan/> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/libraryofmich> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/libraryofmichigan/>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D7610D.C1A5B2D0]
Check with your local public library for details on their summer library program!