[Michlib-l] Filtering and ARP funds

Nannette Miller erlib.director at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 13:27:55 EDT 2021

Hello all,
I have heard that if we get a grant for equipment, such as hotspots,
tablets, laptops, or long range wifi access points, we will have to filter
everything. We have never used filters here and it has been fine. I have a
problem with the idea that we will filter what people can access in their
own home or outside the library because I don't think that's our job.
However, if we have to do it, I have some questions.
1. Can anyone recommend a DNS filter that isn't so restrictive you can't
search for certain health questions?
2. What problems have you had with your filtering software, if any?
3. Does anyone know the bare minimum of filtering that will meet CIPA
requirements?
4. What is the process for turning it off for patrons that request no
filtering? Is it easy enough for any staff to do at checkout of hotspots
and tablets?
5. How does the government monitor filtering and enforce CIPA?

I'm sure I will have lots more questions but any information you can
provide will be a good start on my research.

Thank you, as always!

Nannette

--

Nannette Miller | Director