[Michlib-l] Join LTPL online this Wednesday, June 23 at 7pm for Bath Tub Gin & Rum Running in Michigan

Katie Rothley krothley at ltpl.org
Mon Jun 21 14:01:01 EDT 2021

Please excuse any cross-posting.

The Lyon Township Public Library invites you to join us online via Zoom
this Wednesday, June 23 at 7pm as we host guest presenter Mr. Joseph
Oldenberg on the historical topic of *BathTub Gin and Rum Running in
Detroit and Michigan. *

Registration is required on LTPL's website here:
https://lyon.assabetinteractive.com/calendar/virtual-bath-tub-gin-and-rum-running-prohibition-in-detroit-and-michigan/

Event description:

The New York Times labeled Detroit the Rum Capital of the Nation during
Prohibition. Rum running, smuggling, illegal stills, and blind pigs sprang
up within hours of the start of Prohibition in 1920 and thrived for the
next 14 years. Corruption reached high points that were never seen before
and a criminal gang called the Purple Gang took over. The booze trade was
so strong they could tell Al Capone to stay out of Michigan, and he did!

Presented by Joseph Oldenburg, a retired librarian from Detroit Public
Library having worked in the Burton Historical Collection for 10 years. He
also taught Michigan History at Oakland Community College for 12 years.

And if you have young children, we also invite you to register to attend
our virtual event tomorrow, *"Electrical Circuits with Sloan-Longway."*

Event description:

8-18 year-olds are invited to explore electricity while building simple
circuits that make motors move, lightbulbs light, and buzzers buzz. You’ll
even make circuits using a piece of paper! This workshop is designed for
children aged 8–12 years old but teens are welcome as well. Each registrant
will receive an activity kit prior to the program.

We are offering three sessions, so please choose either 3:00pm, 5:00pm, or
7:00pm:

3:00 pm registration here:
https://lyon.assabetinteractive.com/calendar/electrical-circuits-with-sloan-longway/

5:00 pm registration here: