[Michlib-l] Computer Time Management Software- Compiled Responses

Tracy Logan logant at cadillaclibrary.org
Thu Mar 4 09:11:13 EST 2021

*Wow! Thank you so much to everyone who took the time to respond to my
query yesterday! I appreciate you all!*

I would like to second the recommendation for Sanilac Computers, mConsole.
We have been using it for over 10 years now, and have never looked back.
They are extremely helpful and their product works really well.

Sanilac Computer Products (scpweb.com) <http://www.scpweb.com/>

Have you heard of mConsole? The company Sanilac Computer Products made the
software. Works really well for us. Been using it for years and their
support is great!

We also use mConsole out of Sanilac, Michigan. I am happy with their
service and their rates. They don't have all the features some of the
larger software developers provide, but it is sufficient for us. They don't
have 24-7 support, and sometimes there are delays when I submit a query,
but this hasn't really been an issue.

We have been using Cassie from Librarica for maybe 5 or so years and it has
worked pretty well for us.  We have 3 branches and about 30 managed
computers.  We use it for time management (although we haven’t had to limit
anyone for years), give out guest passes, allow walk up usage with a
library card and print management with a staff release station.  We also
turn our filtering on and off with the software.

 Pros:

It is affordable

Rarely has problems

Is easy to use

Cons:

Simplistic and kind of dated looking

Print release station is on a dedicated machine so we can only release
prints on one computer

If you have any questions I’d be happy to help.

Chris Knight

Technology Coordinator

Otsego County Library

TLN has a volume discount with EnvisionWare that's available to all public
libraries in Michigan.  I can connect you with the account manager if you
would like a demo. To take advantage of the volume discount, TLN would
provide the quote and place the order and invoice your library.  Your
library would contact EnvisionWare direct for support.

Thanks,

Angie Michelini
Technology Services Manage

I have been happy with Envisionware, although the staff interface for
changing setting is a bit daunting.

We have been using mConsole.  It works well for us and would recommend
contacting them for a demo.

Pros

   -
      - Communicates with our ILS so we don't have to manually enter users
      - Able to extend or end sessions from the admin console at the circ
      desk
      - manages printing from library computers as well as mobile devices
      - Customer service is good...calling is faster than email, but both
      work

Cons

   -
      - They did a system upgrade about two years ago, access to some
      functions are buried and require an additional click or two to get too.
       You may not notice since you won't have the older version to compare.

We have an ancient version of Cassie from Librarica that has served its
purpose. I wasn’t involved with setting it up originally, but my
predecessor has had nothing but negative words to say about the process.
Not sure about current versions, again we’re running an ancient version. We
just recently updated our printer/copier, and it came with its own print
management system (PaperCut), so we are just using Cassie as time
management. Cassie uses SIP to connect to our ILS Biblionix Apollo, so
patrons with library cards in good standing can sit down at the computer
and log themselves in with their library card number and phone number. We
have the ability to change what type of cards have access to which
computers (we have adult use computers and juvenile computers, and 2 types
of juvenile cards- one with computer permissions and one without). We have
the ability to change how long a patron can be on the computer, and whether
the time automatically renews if no one is waiting, or whether Cassie logs
them off. We can extend time for individual users from the circulation
desk, and we can print guest slips for non-cardholders to use.

As I said, Cassie serves its purpose, but we are also looking to upgrade at
some point.

We’ve been using mConsole for several
years. It’s a small Michigan company.

We just got on board with mConsole. It's a simple program and suits our
needs, though it has quirks.
https://mconsole.com/

*PROS*
Flat rate, allows for expandability of service
Authenticates with our ILS (Sierra)
Offers support and training virtually

*CONS*Not always the most intuitive software staff-side

Still having issues getting the mobile printing workin

We had the same trials and tribulations with Comprise, and escaped as soon
as we could. We've been off Comprise systems for 6 years now, and I'm quite
happy we left SAM behind...

We switched to Envisionware, which is much more reliable. It does have a
technological bump (currently) in as much as you must host everything in
house. But the tech support from Envisionware is generally quite reliable
and prompt for us. PC Res, LPT:One, Remote Print, and even their payment
systems have proven to be fairly effective for us. Envisionware is moving
towards a cloud hosted solution (Cloud Nine) which may make using
Envisionware MUCH easier if you don't have on site techs to work with.
We're looking forward to the cloud solution, but they do not have a time
line on that part just yet.

If I were comparing right now, I'd start comparing Envisionware to TBS
(Today's Business Solutions), which has a very sharp print offering
combined with workstation controls that may be better than Envisionware at
this time. TBS gave some demos to The Library Network over the last year,
and I found them to be extremely interesting. Their print offering seems to
be the best of breed right now from what I can tell. Auburn Hills Library
is using TBS at this time for control and printing.

We use mconsole from Sanilac computer products

http://www.scpweb.com/

It is easy to use and Weaver (their tech) is very helpful and nice.  It is
only $220 per year for us.

Our patrons use it to sign onto the computers with their library barcode.
We can monitor computers and printing jobs and release them.  We don’t ever
have people waiting – so we don’t use that part of it.  We don’t allow
patrons to release and pay for their own jobs too – so we don’t use that
either.

--
Tracy Logan
Library Director