[Michlib-l] Library Card Expiration

John Rucker ruckerj at branchdistrictlibrary.org
Thu Mar 11 15:53:16 EST 2021

Hello again, I received 42 replies to my question from a variety of library classes. The results were:

Regular Resident Cards Expire After…
… 1 year:	9 libraries
… 2 years:	8 libraries
… 3 years:	23 libraries
… 5 years:	1 library
… no expiration, if active: 1 library

Most who do 1 year voice their rationale: patrons’ rapidly changing contact information. To add BDL to the above totals, this is the same reason we switched from 3 years to 1 year a number of years ago.

A couple libraries who are at 3 years said they used to be at 1 year, but found that schedule to be onerous for patrons and/or staff. I have a trustee inquiring about that, hence my question to you all.

Thanks to all who replied today!

Best,

John

John Rucker, Director