[Michlib-l] Good news from Harrison Township Public Library!

Noah Lenstra njlenstr at uncg.edu
Fri May 21 13:03:09 EDT 2021

Smooth rides start at the library
Solar-powered bicycle maintenance station installed
By: Kristyne E. Demske | Mount Clemens - Clinton - Harrison Journal |
Published May 20, 2021
https://www.candgnews.com/news/smooth-rides-start-at-the-library-120661

HARRISON TOWNSHIP — A local company and library are teaming up to help
local bicyclists keep their equipment running smoothly.

The Harrison Township Public Library, 38255 L’Anse Creuse St., is now home
to the first solar-powered bicycle maintenance station in the state, thanks
to ESPAS Inc., of Clinton Township. The station, which features solar
lighting, a solar-powered air pump, hanger arms for easy repair, various
tools and a USB-charger for phones, was installed at no cost to the library
May 14.

Library Director Melissa Goins said she was inspired by a trip to New
Orleans to seek out a bicycle repair station for the library.

“We had stopped at a public library in New Orleans, and they had a bicycle
repair station, and I just thought that was a great idea to have that
available for the public,” she said.

She began to shop around for different options, and she was happy when
ESPAS Inc. selected the library to debut its new Solar Cycle Server, a
state-of-the-art bicycle repair station.

Phil Pertner, president of ESPAS Inc., 44850 Centre Court East in Clinton
Township, said he has been trying to diversify his automotive prototype
company.

“We’ve seen the bike stations around, but they have hand pumps,” he said.
“We wanted to give it a little more pizazz. With all the solar energy
savings, we decided that we wanted to design a solar-powered bike station.”
A 12-volt battery powered by the sun runs everything on the station,
including an onboard air compressor, which Pertner said makes ESPAS’
station unique. The station, which is “granny smith green,” has a motion
sensor that triggers its light to turn on if someone approaches it at night.

The station was completed in 2020, but the COVID-19 pandemic put their
hopes of installation on hold. Instead, ESPAS was able to test the station
more fully before its installation.

“Eventually, in the future, we want to reach out to some of the parks and
bike paths in Michigan. It’s environmentally friendly, and it’s a good
thing,” Pertner said. “If you’re in trouble and you need to tighten
something or your tire’s going low, you can pump it up.”

Having the station in Harrison Township will allow the company to better
see how it fares in a real-world environment.

“We can see how it reacts. We’re going to give it more time in the
environment. So far, it’s worked out really good,” Pertner said.

ESPAS worked with other local companies for the decals, paint and other
portions of the station.

“It’s nice to see your product locally,” he said. “We’re excited about it.”

Located just a half-mile from the Freedom Trail bike path entrance at 16
Mile Road and Crocker Boulevard and in close proximity to several local
schools, Goins thought the library would be the perfect location for a
repair station.

“We like to add value to the community, so this is just another way that
the library can,” Goins said. “I’m just so excited that they chose us to
debut it.”

Since this is the first station for ESPAS, the company is hoping to hear
what residents think of the new feature. It is available for use by anyone
outside the main entrance to the library.

“We’re pretty centrally located,” Goins said. “They’re hoping we might be
able to obtain feedback and share that with them. It’s a partnership.”

Noah Lenstra
Assistant Professor of Library and Information Science
University of North Carolina Greensboro
njlenstr at uncg.edu
noahlenstra.com
@NoahLenstra