[Michlib-l] Belleville District Library Job Posting

Amy Greschaw agreschaw at belleville.lib.mi.us
Thu Nov 4 20:40:29 EDT 2021

Greetings, all -

The Belleville Area District Library is now hiring for a part-time library assistant to assist on our reference desks. Pertinent details below; please see attached job posting for full description. (Full text of job posting is pasted below my signature.)

Job Title : Library Assistant
Hours : 16-20 hrs /week, some evening and weekends required
Compensation : $14 /hr
Posting Date : 11/4/2021
Job posting will remain open until 11/19/2021 or until position is filled. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.

To apply, please send cover letter, resume, and completed BADL employment application to Amy Greschaw, Head of Adult Services, at [ mailto:agreschaw at belleville.lib.mi.us | agreschaw at belleville.lib.mi.us ] . BADL employment application can be found on our website at: [ https://www.belleville.lib.mi.us/about-us/employment/ | https://www.belleville.lib.mi.us/about-us/employment/ ]

Amy Greschaw
Head of Adult Services
Belleville Area District Library
167 4th St.
Belleville, MI 48111

(734) 699-3291

Starting Salary: $14 /hr.

Hours: 16-20 hrs. /week

Open until 11/19/2021, or until position is filled. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.

The Belleville Area District Library strives to be the heart of our community. We are a Class V Library, serving a diverse population of 42,000 in Belleville, Van Buren Township, and Sumpter Township. Our staff is highly collaborative and endeavors to provide the public with superior customer service.

Last year, we opened a brand new 31,000 square foot main building in downtown Belleville as well as a small satellite media center in Sumpter Township. Our Library Assistants work alongside the librarians to staff our reference desk: answering questions, suggesting resources, and assisting users on the public computers. A strong personal philosophy of public service is essential, as are excellent communication skills, patience, and a good working knowledge of computer software programs and personal electronic devices.

Responsibilities:

    * Provide reference and readers’ advisory services to library users under supervision of librarian staff, in Youth, Adult, or Teen departments, as assigned.
    * Maintain an excellent working knowledge of the functions of the library catalog, public computers, personal devices, and digital resources such as databases and downloadable books and assist library users with these resources.
    * Perform library opening and closing duties.
    * Assist the librarians and/or department heads with projects as needed.
    * Maintain and enhance job skills through continuing education activities.
    * Other duties as assigned.

Qualifications:

· Associate’s Degree from an accredited college or university, or equivalent experience.

· Must be able to perform basic troubleshooting of computers and printers.

· Must have working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.

· Must be comfortable downloading e-books and using other web-related technologies.

· Must be self-motivated, industrious, and mature; able to identify projects and work independently.

· Must possess good judgment and problem-solving abilities.

· Must have a strong public service orientation and effective communication skills.

· Must be able to stoop, bend, reach, walk, stand, and lift up to 20 pounds.

· Ability to work some evenings and weekends.

To Apply: Application can be found at [ http://www.belleville.lib.mi.us/about-us/employment/ | www.belleville.lib.mi.us/about-us/employment/ ]

Submit cover letter, resume, and Belleville Area District Library employment application to Amy Greschaw, Head of Adult Services, at agreschaw at belleville.lib.mi.us.