[Michlib-l] Larry Martin "In Their Own Words" Program Success

Wendy Mutch wmutch at northvillelibrary.org
Mon Nov 8 15:04:46 EST 2021

I can also attest to the impact of Larry Martin's programs. Last month he presented two weeks in a row via Zoom for the Northville District Library about the service of Bill Ingram, who enlisted in Navy about six months before the U S was drawn into WWII on his 17th birthday in June of 1941. The first evening we heard about all of the fighting Bill did aboard the Houston in the first three months of 1942 before it sank on March 1, 1942. The second part featured Bill's interview about his three and a half years of captivity in Burma and Thailand on the “Death Railway” or Burma/Thailand Railroad, which inspired the 1957 movie “The Bridge on the River Kwai.” His experiences are really remarkable!

The event was well-attended and much appreciated. Bill Ingram's son also joined us as well as a WWII nurse, whom Larry had invited. These are special opportunities for us to hear from those who served and Larry is a passionate advocate who reminds us of their sacrifices.

Wendy Mutch
Northville District Library