[Michlib-l] Social Media - an exercise in frustration

Andrea Ingmire aing at pwpl.info
Tue Nov 16 14:44:17 EST 2021

How are your social media stats looking? I'm growing more and more concerned with our social media profiles all the time. We seem to be reaching a very small audience (Facebook stats say we're reaching hundreds with each post, but we're seeing very little, if any, interaction with our posts). It's very different than in the past.

Interestingly, today we found that our hours were listed incorrectly. It took several attempts to change this, and at some point during the changes Facebook created a posting for us saying that we'd changed our hours. A link for 'more info' was provided...and this link took patrons right to a dead paypal page. We had more engagements from this post than from many of our intentional posts of late. Nice work facebook.

I don't ever see our library's posts (or any of your libraries for that matter) come up in my feed. If I'm not seeing it, neither are our patrons.

Is it worth staff time to continue using these platforms to promote library services?
Is anyone looking ahead and thinking that it might make more sense to stop spending so much staff time and energy in social media and instead focus on what we can control, like our website, constant contact eNewsletters, and direct mailing?

If social media seems to still be popping for you, what platforms are getting you the best engagement? Are you paying for postings?

Thanks!
Andrea

[logo-blue -building]
Andrea Ingmire