[Michlib-l] Social Media - an exercise in frustration

Mark Morton director at lelandlibrary.org
Tue Nov 16 15:50:16 EST 2021

Hi Andrea,
We do pretty good on Facebook. We are doing a county wide community read
and have an author event via Zoom tomorrow night (Angeline Boulley, "Fire
Keeper's Daughter) in association with the other three Leelanau County
Libraries. I boosted that post because our measure of the event being
worth the expense of the author and moderator will be based on how many
attend, so I was hoping to build that audience.
I did an "organic" post of some pictures from a Friends event from
last week and we got a reach of 785, with 141 engagements, including
shares, comments, likes, and clicks on the pictures. For a small library
like ours that is quite a lot of interaction. I think it helped that
the pictures were such that they stood out on a feed.
I don't see many of our library posts on my personal news feed but I always
figured that is because I am one of the admins for the page.
So much comes down to the mysterious and magical "Facebook algorithm". I
have liked and followed several other libraries and whenever I see any of
their posts I make sure to interact with them (like, share, comment) since
I know the algorithm will send posts that it senses are getting a reaction
out to a wider audience, so I see that as a way to help our peers. In some
cases I can change my identity and like a post as myself and then do it
again as the library. Also with the algorithm in mind all of our posts have
at least pictures, since, as you know, pictures and videos get a much
farther reach than just text.
I think we continue to do well on Facebook because we have had a lot of
interaction in the past and because of that we get put in front of more
people right from the start when we post something. I also share our posts
with several local group's pages that have a pretty good reach also.
For us it is all well worth the time.

Mark