[Michlib-l] [EXT] Transitioning individuals and library accounts

Rebecca Daly rebecca.daly at finlandia.edu
Wed Oct 6 09:59:36 EDT 2021

We use the Ex Libris Alma ILS and there you can choose 'preferred name' as
an option and it is a searchable field when looking up patron accounts.
This is not only helpful for people who have 'transitioned' but also for
people who go by a nickname or use their middle name, etc. It just makes us
a more accommodating, considerate, patron-friendly institution! I think
there are more vendors and companies adapting to this more flexible way of
patron accounting. Take care, Rebecca

On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 9:52 AM Janelle Bishop via Michlib-l <
michlib-l at mcls.org> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
> We are seeing more and more transitioning adults and teens in the library
> whose legal names are not their preferred names (and their legal names may
> not match their gender anymore). How is everyone handling this issue?
> Specifically with the information on their library accounts because I
> believe we have to put their legal name on their account. Are you putting
> their preferred names in their account somewhere?
>
> In a related question: Does anyone put nicknames on patron's accounts? For
> example, a patron's legal name is Robert James Smith but goes by James. Do
> you have some note somewhere with James as a preferred name?
> Any information on how you are handling this would be greatly
> appreciated...
> Thanks,
> Janelle
>
> Janelle (Martin) Bishop