[Michlib-l] Young Reader Recommendations Received, Thank You!

Anne Oyerly oyerly at andrews.edu
Fri Sep 3 17:59:19 EDT 2021

I received so many wonderful replies to my inquiry that I decided to share with you all a compiled list.

Thanks to each of you for your contributions! I look forward to helping this girl continue reading.

Multiple recommendations for:
Hamster Princes' by Ursula Vernon, six books in the series.
Princess Academy by Shannon Hale

Other recommendations as follow:
The Ordinary Princess by MM Kaye
The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley (might be a little advanced)
Ronia, the Robber's Daughter by Astrid Lindgren
The Prydain Chronicles series by Lloyd Alexander (Bk 2 was a terrible Disney movie)
Vesper Holly books by Lloyd Alexander
Tamora Pierce--most of her earlier work, 2 different worlds

Early Chapter Books (8-10 years)
Disney Princess: Beginnings series (Various Authors)
The Princess in Black series by Shannon Hale
Airy Fairy series by Margaret Ryan
Hamster Princess series by Ursula Vernon
Princess Cora and the Crocodile by Laura Amy Schlitz
Royal Rescues series by Paula Harrison
Diary of an Ice Princess series by Christina Soontornvat

Middle Grade (10-12 years)
If the Magic Fits by Susan Schmid
Straw into Gold by Hilary McKay
Gilded Girl by Alyssa Colman
Tangled in Time by Kathryn Lasky
Royal Diaries series (Various Authors)
The Tale of Desperaux by Kate DiCamillo
Eight Princesses and a Magic Mirror by Natasha Farrant
A Frozen Heart by Elizabeth Rudnick
Tales of the Frog Princess series by E. D. Baker
>From the Notebooks of a Middle School Princess series by Meg Cabot
Castle Glower series by Jessica Day George
Frozen: Junior Novelization by Sarah Nathan
Tangled: The Junior Novelization by Irene Trimble

Brittney Ryan: the Legend of Holly Claus and Holly Claus the Christmas Princess

The Descendents series by Melissa De La Cruz should be a slam dunk.
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carsen Levine. The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale is longer, but really good.
Princess Academy & Ever After High series, also Shannon Hale, Land of Stories by Chris Colfer, Fairy Tale Reform School by Jen Calonita, Wide Awake Princess by E.D. Baker, Kingdom Keepers by Ridley Pearson

Disney Fairies by Kiki Thorpe, Star Darlings series by Shana Muldoon Zappa  Fairy Realm by Emily Rodda, Fairy Tale Matchmaker by E.D. Baker, Princess Academy by Shannon Hale (maybe Young Adult), Jessica Day George, Gail Carson Levine

The Princess in Black series, by Shannon Hale
Princeless, graphic novel series by Jeremy Whitley
Rainbow Magic series attributed to Daisy Meadows

The Thea Stilton series