[Michlib-l] Shifting Landscapes launches on October 4th

Thomas Trahey ttrahey at mcdlibrary.org
Fri Sep 24 12:58:43 EDT 2021

            I would like to invite you to attend an upcoming public lecture
series and bring your patrons along. Shifting Landscapes is a six-part
series beginning in October and running through next April (skipping
December). It will feature six topics with three sessions for each. The
topics are science, community, economics, racism, truth in politics, and
education. Experts and artists will join us to explore the topics in more
depth.

            Since covid hit us, we have all had to make major adjustments
in our lives. Our world changed. Then George Floyd was killed and millions
across the country took to the streets in protest. Then Trump lost the
election and millions refused to accept it. The world is changing around us
and the pandemic seems to have quickened the pace. Shifting Landscapes will
help us explore some of the topics that are in flux.

            The first session -- on October 4th at 7pm -- is with poet
Margaret Hasse. She will read from *Shelter*, a book of poems and
watercolors created and published while both she and visual artist Sharon
DeMark were under quarantine. The book of poems and artworks was created
through Zoom exchanges. Hasse and DeMark would volley poems and
watercolors. Hasse might start with a poem and DeMark would respond with an
image. Edits and reworking would follow until both artists were content.

Hasse will explore with the audience how this project both helped and fell
short of her coming to grips with the isolation and loneliness of covid.

            You may join us via zoom and your patrons may join us via zoom,
but I want to suggest a novel alternative: invite a live audience to attend
the Zoom meeting together. There's no doubt that we miss some connection
when we meet virtually but are alone in our own spaces. Being in the same
room restores some of that community connection. Most sessions will include
a Q&A and anyone on Zoom will be able to ask questions.

The presentations should be stimulating enough to start conversations among
the people that have gathered together, and really this is one of the main
goals of the series.

Let me know if you're interested, I will send brochures through Rides to
help you advertise to your patrons.

This is great for programming on a budget. Your cost is basically zero.
More than that, I dream that this could be a great way for programming in
the future.  If this works the way I envision, it could pave the way for us
smaller libraries to collectively host bigger (more expensive) presenters.

The setup for hosting an event like this can be very simple. I will be
happy to help with any setup questions.

More info at: mcdl.pub/SL-info
Register at: mcdl.pub/SL-register
Joint at: mcdl.pub/SL-zoom