[Michlib-l] Library Outreach for Kids - Fun Idea suggestions?

Lois-sez@Lois-sez.com lois-sez at lois-sez.com
Thu Apr 7 17:29:58 EDT 2022

I was going to wait until next week as my blog, Storytelling + Research = LoiS, changes every Saturday, but the search label of Summer Reading can be used even now.  I don't know if you have any of the series of easy reading books that parody the traditional song "There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly."  Scholastic offers a series by Lucille Colandro and, of course various illustrators over the year have played with the original song.  A fellow storyteller gifted me and anyone seeking a song about an Old Mermaid that fits the CSLP ocean related theme and even your Dr. Seuss quote.  Go to < ">https://www.storytellingresearchlois.com/search/label/Summer%20Reading> https://www.storytellingresearchlois.com/search/label/Summer%20Reading where I even added chords for those of us playing guitar, dulcimer, or whatever.  Have fun and while you're there look around, for example there are many stories I give under the heading of "Keeping the Public in Public Domain", including right below t
 he song a story about a crab with magic eyes I'll be telling this summer.  (I didn't realize way back in 2010 when choosing the blog's title it would omit the "+" and "=", creating the horribly long web address of https://www.storytellingresearchlois.com/.)
LoiS(ummer Reading. . . my favorite time of year!)

>     On April 6, 2022 2:59 PM Lorry Traver via Michlib-l <michlib-l at mcls.org> wrote:
>

>     Hi all,
>
>     I am having a few outreach events over the summer and wanted to know if there were any super clever or creative, or maybe even simple but still fun, activities you like to do at outreach events?
>
>     I will have library card applications along with newsletters and flyers, but aside from that I wanted to provide a short experience for the kids, whether it be yard games, rubber ducks in a pool with a prize awarded, etc.
>
>     Thank you - my brain is already mush and summer reading hasn't even started yet.
>
>     --
>     "You're never too old, too wacky, too wild, to pick up a book and read to a child." - Dr. Seuss
>
>     Lorry Traver
>     Youth Services Coordinator
>     Ruth Hughes Memorial District Library
>     211 N. Almont Ave.
>     Imlay City, MI 48444
>
>     ltraver at ruthhughes.org mailto:ltraver at ruthhughes.org
>
>     810-724-8043

Lois Sprengnether Keel
https://www.lois-sez.com/
and blog at https://www.StorytellingResearchLois.com
Storyteller in MI Arts & Humanities Directory since 2004
and in Historical Society of Michigan Directory
https://hsmichigan.org/resources/storytellers-speakers-performers/storyte
ller-lois-sprengnether-keel/ https://hsmichigan.org/resources/storytellers-speakers-performers/storyte%20ller-lois-sprengnether-keel/
State Liaison for National Storytelling Network
Webmaster for https://michiganstorytelling.org/