[Michlib-l] Hybrid programming (in person and Zoom)

Betsy Myers mmyers at tadl.org
Mon Apr 25 19:12:43 EDT 2022

I realize I forgot to respond to this after we have been doing several
hybrids.  So, here we go--7 months later!  Basically, our tech department
set it all up and I really do not know much more than that, it's all greek
to me.  I just ask what buttons to press and viola!  It works.  But, what I
do know is...We use an OWL camera with the microphone, it works really
well.  For the most part, it is stationary on the presenter.  I sit at a
station with a computer and monitor Zoom while the presenter is at the
front of the room, the OWL sort of in the middle front, the presenter can
carry on their conversation, project on our screen their presentation, I
can switch from presenter, to audience, to the projected screen for
Zoomers.  We only do webinars for hybrid programs via Zoom so there isn't
any interference.  But, they can type in questions, comments that we
address.  So far, it has been good.  I believe we had to get some different
software for the sound to be better via Zoom but don't quote me on that.
The only downside is that when the presenter points to something on the
projector screen, the Zoom audience can't see it.  We try and have them
move their mouse instead and that seems to work. So, in a nutshell, the OWL
camera was the way to go for us.  It has worked for our needs right now.

If you need more technical information, let me know.  I can have a tech
person here reach out possibly or get the answers. Many did suggest early
on that the OWL camera worked best.  We had one, we just needed to figure
out how it would work with Zoom and our in person set up with the
projection screen, sound system, etc. Thank you!

--
*Betsy Myers*
Reference Department

*Currently listening to Local Woman Missing by Mary Kubica and Presidents
Daughter by Bill Clinton and James Patterson*