[Michlib-l] Responses to Teen Mentorship and Mothers Networking

Tee Versele cversele at romuluslibrary.org
Wed Apr 27 14:28:48 EDT 2022

Hello everyone,

It was requested of me to share the responses I received when asking for guidance on programs for teens to read to younger kids, and for networking groups for mothers. These are the responses I received:

We partnered with our local high school & elementary school to offer an evening program where teen volunteers read to younger kids in a "Storytime" setting, complete with a craft, called "Books for Bulldogs" after their mascot. The high school principal helped to recruit teen volunteers from their National Honor Society and the Leadership Team groups. Pairing with the schools also really helped bring more kids into the Library, especially the teen group (the hardest to get to come in!). One tip - since we are a public library and not a school library, we always make sure to include a sentence or two about how the program is open to everyone, regardless of whether their child actually attends the partnered school district. That way kids in the area who are attending private schools or are being homeschooled are not left out of the fun. Good luck with your programs!
-Kelsey Rutkowski

A few years ago we had a reading buddies program with teens and young children during the summer at Shelby Township. We had a teacher in the community teach a few teen volunteers how to help children read, how to listen and help when needed, for an hour or so long orientation. Only the volunteers who had completed the orientation were able to be the reading buddy. The children would pick a book they wanted to read, and then sign in and they could mark a preference for the teen volunteer reading with them. The children read for 15 minutes with the volunteer, and we hosted it through the summer. The teens loved it, some of them had an interest in being a teacher, so they got a taste of the profession, and the children loved it too. Parents remarked on the improvement and confidence their children had in reading at the end of the program.
The 2021 Spring Institute had an excellent "Mamas Matter'' presentation, the librarian who presented was very knowledgeable and passionate about servicing mothers, new and seasoned, and connecting them with the resources they need. The video link is below, you'll need an MLA login to watch. The presentation was very moving and inspiring, and may be a good place to get some ideas. We have yet to launch a Moms program at Shelby Township, but we have a great partnership with Great Start, and our contact will bring swag and information to pass out at story times, and has provided us with a directory of resources for parents in the county.
[ https://www.milibraries.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1026:mamas-matter---maternal-wellness-in-the-library---education-session---spring-institute-2021---michigan-library-association&catid=72:spring-institute-2021-archives&Itemid=380 | https://www.milibraries.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1026:mamas-matter---maternal-wellness-in-the-library---education-session---spring-institute-2021---michigan-library-association&catid=72:spring-institute-2021-archives&Itemid=380 ]
-Jennifer Sunderhaus

Story times with open ended activities featuring creative play materials are natural networking opportunities for moms and caregivers. Start with Babytime to let parents have a chance to celebrate their babies and talk to other adults.
-Laurie

Warmest Regards,

Tee Versele
Youth Services Librarian