[Michlib-l] Alternative solutions to outreach for elderly patrons

Director director at indianriverlibrary.org
Thu Aug 11 18:13:40 EDT 2022

Hello everyone,

Our local newspaper announced today that they will be ceasing publication
come this November 3rd. We relied on the newspaper heavily to reach elderly
members of the community to share library news and upcoming events, as we
have a dedicated section of the paper to submit columns for the library.
Since they are discontinuing the newspaper, we will need to find other
alternatives to engage these patrons, who usually are adverse to the usual
methods of social media or a website (which we already also use, but see
little engagement from older community members).

I was wondering what other libraries do to reach these patrons if they do
not have a local newspaper to rely on. I am happy to compile replies and
send along to michlib if enough are interested in hearing responses.

Thank you,
Kelsey Rutkowski
*Library Director*
*Indian River Area Library*