[Michlib-l] Alternative solutions to outreach for elderly patrons

Janelle Bishop jmartin at lib.lapeer.org
Thu Aug 11 19:34:06 EDT 2022

We still have a newspaper where I am living but the newspaper in my
hometown where my parents still live has stopped publishing recently also.
Here are some things that come to mind based upon conversations with my
mother who is not on social media and only online a little bit:

   - You can see if you can put library information in newsletters already
   going out to that population. For example, the senior center or the
   commission on aging might already be sending information to that
   demographic and might allow you to include something in their newsletter.
   - Post flyers for programs where seniors frequent: senior centers,
   commission on aging, popular restaurants, etc.
   - See if you can include library information with the meals on wheels
   delivery program.
   - Send (or drop off) a library newsletter to the retirement and nursing
   homes to be posted in their common gathering area.
   - Or visit the nursing/retirement homes and talk about what's happening
   at the library. Bring books! Start a book delivery program there.
   - Find out which senior is very chatty and knows (and talks to) everyone
   and tell them about your programs for that month and ask them to spread the
   word.
   - Depending on your budget, you can pull a report on any seniors that
   live in your area and send them a monthly newsletter of what is happening
   at the library that they might be interested in.

Good luck! I hope this helped a little.
Janelle

Janelle (Martin) Bishop
Head of Fiction