[Michlib-l] compiled- kids musical programming

Laura Hauch laura.hauch at buchananlibrary.com
Fri Aug 26 10:00:58 EDT 2022

Hello all,
Here's the responses I received to my inquiry on children's musical programming. Thank you to everyone who replied; we've got a lot to work with!
~Laura
---------------------------------------

If you haven't already check the artist listing on the Michigan Humanities site<https://www.michiganhumanities.org/touring-grants/> I would recommend it. They offer some grants but have specific times when you can apply. I've had good experience in years past with Neil Woodward and the Dodworth Saxhorn Band. Gemini and Peter Madcat Ruth are great performers for all ages.

Cindy Krueger
Marketing & Outreach
Michigan Department of Natural Resources
KruegerC at Michigan.gov<mailto:KruegerC at Michigan.gov>

---------------------------------------

http://www.dynamicwest.com/dynamic.html
The Caribbean steel drum band is AMAZING.  The website for this guy is from 1998 but the service is high quality.

Suzy Shipman, Head of Children's
Redford Township District Library
25320 W. Six Mile
Redford, MI 48240
Phone: (313) 531-5960 x117
Fax: (313) 794-9031
Pronouns: She/Her
sshipman at rtdl.org<mailto:ghungerford at rtdl.org>
https://www.rtdl.org/
---------------------------------

Beverly Meyer (https://beverlythemusiclady.com/) and Jim Gill (https://www.jimgill.com/) are maybe the two most prominent children's performers around here. Both great.
We've also had Joe Reilly (https://www.joereilly.org/) and were pleased with the event.

Rebecca Stout
Youth Librarian
Berkley Public Library
3155 Coolidge Hwy
Berkley, MI 48072
248-658-3440
---------------------------------

We loved Drummunity this summer! It was a great hands on experience and Miss Lori who facilitated did a fantastic job relating to our patrons and keeping them engaged. We held our program inside a gym but I saw other area libraries have theirs outdoors in pavilions too.

Amy Sturgeon
Program Director
Gladwin County District Library
402 James Robertson Dr Gladwin, MI 48624
(989)426-8221 extension 6
Beaverton Branch
106 Tonkin St Beaverton, MI 48612
(989)435-3981 extention 1
asturgeon at gcdl.org<mailto:asturgeon at gcdl.org>

---------------------------------

We had Joe Reilly in July and he is super energetic, positive and encouraging for youth and their families! We hosted him outside and he came with all of his equipment by himself and was incredibly capable. I definitely think we will be having him back at some point because of how supportive and positive he is. I didn't schedule him, only promoted him and I think he was awesome.
Katie Rothley, MLIS
Marketing & Public Relations Librarian
Northville District Library
212 West Cady Street
Northville, MI 48167
(248) 349-3020 ext. 221
https://northvillelibrary.org/

---------------------------------

https://www.lauradohertymusic.com/what-we-do#:~:text=Laura%20Doherty%20is%20a%20nationally,and%20award%2Dwinning%20recording%20artist.
Bio - Laura Doherty<https://www.lauradohertymusic.com/what-we-do#:~:text=Laura%20Doherty%20is%20a%20nationally,and%20award%2Dwinning%20recording%20artist.>
Laura Doherty is a nationally touring children's performer and award-winning recording artist. About Laura. Laura found her place in the acoustic-folk world early on, picking up the guitar at age 16.
www.lauradohertymusic.com<http://www.lauradohertymusic.com>
Joelle J. Wake
Director
Lincoln Township Public Library

---------------------------------

Campfire Stu is pretty good as well as local (to SW MI). http://www.campfirestu.net/

If you've got $$$, the man who does the "rock & roll" performance from Dynamic West is good.  And the booking company might give a small discount if another nearby library books him the same day. http://www.dynamicwest.com/ (The performer comes from Chicago. If you're not in SW MI, you might get someone else).

And I used Susan Harrison a couple times for virtual programs. It looks like she's scheduling live events again. (I would book her again). https://palamazoo.com/

Eden Morris, MLIS
Youth Services Librarian
Bridgman Public Library
4460 Lake Street
Bridgman, MI 49106
269-465-3663
eden at bridgmanlibrary.com<mailto:eden at bridgmanlibrary.com>
www.bridgmanlibrary.com<http://www.bridgmanlibrary.com/>

---------------------------------

We hosted Leonardo from Leonardo Music<leonardomusic.com> (Chicago based) this summer, and he was wonderful! We also had Tricia from Tunes N Tales<tunesntales.org/home> by Tricia last summer, and she is equally wonderful. Tricia is based out of Mt. Pleasant, and at least when we hosted her, was on the list of approved vendors for the Michigan Arts & Humanities Touring Grants, so we were able to be reimbursed for a portion of her fee.

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D8B932.BD98A2F0]
Marla Drury
Juvenile & Young Adult Services Librarian
Alma Public Library
500 E. Superior St., Alma, MI 48801
Phone: 989-463-3966 ex. 9581
Website: Alma Public Library<http://www.youseemore.com/alma/default.asp>
Email: mdrury at myalma.org<mailto:mdrury at myalma.org>

---------------------------------

Gemini is wonderful and has programs for all ages  https://www.geminichildrensmusic.com/  .   For the little ones, we loved Paula Doak, the Merry Music Maker.  I think she is out of Grosse Point. I can't find a website for her, but I believe her number is (313) 886-4635

Cassie Veselovsky (she/her) | Public Service Head, Foster
Capital Area District Libraries - Foster & Downtown Lansing Branches
517-485-5185 (Foster) | 517-334-1525 (Downtown) | veselovskyc at cadl.org<mailto:veselovskyc at cadl.org>

---------------------------------
We have had
Beverly Meyer
The Music Lady
https://beverlythemusiclady.com<https://beverlythemusiclady.com/>
Call or text 734-286-4206
and
https://tunesntales.org/home
-Syntha syntha.green at baldwinlib.org<mailto:syntha.green at baldwinlib.org>

---------------------------------

You've probably heard of him, or even had him in the past, but Guy Louis is very good with groups of kids, and his concerts are very interactive, so the kids get to participate.
We had him for our finale party, and he was very popular. Cost was $500 for an hour concert.

https://guylouis.com/

Trevor Winn
Community Services Manager
Oak Park Public Library