[Michlib-l] Technology Circulation Responses

Amy Sturgeon asturgeon at gcdl.org
Mon Aug 29 14:50:52 EDT 2022

This is a compilation of responses to my question about circulating technology:

*I recently moved back to Michigan after living in upstate New York for several years. The library I worked for in New York circulated a Nintendo Switch for at least four years, possibly longer. We really never had too many issues with it (luckily), other than a very long holds list! One thing to be aware of is the controllers go off balance (for lack of a better word) every few months. When that happened, someone at the library would have to recalibrate the controllers, which is an easy thing to do. The library did end up having to eventually replace the controllers after years of use.

*We recently started circulating Nintendo Switch games (and checking out Switch consoles for in-library use). My only advice at this point is to take anti-theft measures from the start. We had 5 games stolen, at least 3 of which were worth $60 or more, before we decided to keep them behind the circ desk, leaving only the cases on the shelf. Those things are small and easy to pocket!

*Petoskey circulates video games. Children's circs Switch only and adult and teen circ Switch, XBOX, Wii and PS4. Our games go out a lot and we haven't really had any issues. We leave the empty cases on the shelves and put the cartridges at each service desk. The games go out for one week, are holdable, and can be renewed. I'm happy to send pictures of how we file the games at the desks if that helps.

*We currently circulate the following gaming systems: Wii, WiiU, PS3 and Sega All-in-One as part of our Library of Things.  These items circulate to approved patrons for a one-week period.  They are automatically renewed for one additional week unless the item is on reserve for another patron.  The biggest concern is always whether or not we receive all of the cords, controllers, etc. at check in.  All of these circulate with a contents sheet that shows a detailed picture of what everything looks like as opposed to just a list.  On occasion we have had to "air out" a gaming system due to smoke odor, but other than that we've had a lot of success with this and very little issues.  Here is a link to our Library of Things catalog if you'd like to check it out:

*What criteria do you use for "approved patrons"?

Patrons have to successfully check out "regular" items (books, movies, games, etc.) 3 times with their standard library card prior to becoming a member of the Library of Things.  We have a contract they sign to become a member of the LOT that explains their responsibilities for the things that they check out.

*I was forwarded your email to the listserv by one of my co-workers. I thought I would give you my POV as a Technology Coordinator.

We have several items in our "Library of Things" that would fall under the electronics:

  *   Hotspots
  *   Chromebook Kits w/Hotspot
  *   Switch
  *   Kindle Fire Tablets

We have been circulating these for longer than I've been around the library here in Eaton Rapids.

The biggest con I can share is that sometimes there is pent-up demand for the devices, and they need to be held in-house either for a program or maintenance.

Overall, the Switch and Kindle Fire Tablets stay on the shelf the longest. The most demand for these items comes during summer and other holiday breaks.

The other consideration off the top of my head is that you'll want to label each cable so that everything can be accounted for. We have had a few issues with people returning the chargers from cell phones or tablets instead of the chargers that came with our hotspots. I can't imagine we are alone in this.

We don't have any Oculus gear, so I can't really comment on that specifically.

*Have you had any stolen or kept by patrons who checked them out?

Not at this point. We don't take any special measures to guard against that, other than charging for lost and damaged items. (For hotspots and some other items, we have the patron sign a contract. It helps.)

*Do you circulate the gaming systems as well?

We don't circulate the systems, but the teen department has their own Switch that teens can use when they're in the library.

Amy Sturgeon
Program Director
Gladwin County District Library
402 James Robertson Dr Gladwin, MI 48624
(989)426-8221 extension 6
Beaverton Branch
106 Tonkin St Beaverton, MI 48612
(989)435-3981 extention 1