[Michlib-l] Athlete Appearance

Stephanie Lawson slawson at whitelakelibrary.org
Mon Aug 29 16:32:40 EDT 2022

Hello Brian,

When I was at Pontiac Public Library I arranged for the local professional
football team (Pontiac Generals) to come to our library and participate in
the storytime. They donated tickets to an upcoming championship game for a
prize drawing, too. I contacted the coach (a personal friend) to set that
up. The coaches were looking for volunteer work for their team in the
community so it was mutually beneficial. They are still around but the
league and teams have been reorganized and renamed since then.
There was a soccer league that attended a Summer Reading kick off event, as
well. I knew of them because some patrons were big fans of the team. I
looked up the contact information for the PR department. There was also a
performance team from the Pistons organization but I believe that was under
a performance contract. I did not set that one up, though.

My best luck with sports talent has been when I have stuck to the local
teams and when I have known someone (or known someone that knew someone).

On Mon, Aug 29, 2022 at 10:33 AM Brian Johnston via Michlib-l <
michlib-l at mcls.org> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> Has any Michigan library out there had any success getting a local college
> or pro athlete to appear at their library for an event? If so, who did you
> get and how did you go about doing it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian R. Johnston
> Adult Services Librarian