[Michlib-l] Policies covering Freedom to Read, collection development, challenged materials

Membiela, Clare (MDE) MembielaC at michigan.gov
Tue Feb 8 13:53:36 EST 2022

Hi Cindy and All:

The Library of Michigan does not have a template, but we do have a couple of info sheets that may be of interest:

Handling Materials Reconsideration, Challenges, and Censorship, a Checklist [PDF icon] <https://www.michigan.gov/documents/libraryofmichigan/Handling_Materials_Reconsideration_Challenges_and_Censorship_a_Checklist_742860_7.pdf>

Book Challenges, Censorship, & Michigan Public Libraries [PDF icon] <https://www.michigan.gov/documents/libraryofmichigan/Book_Challenges_Censorship__Michigan_Public_Libraries_742861_7.pdf>

Both of these have links to resources at ALA and other organizations. I know that the ALA has a materials challenge form template as part of their Selection and Reconsideration Policy Toolkit:
https://www.ala.org/tools/challengesupport/selectionpolicytoolkit

I hope these are helpful!

Sincerely

Clare D. Membiela, MLS, J.D.
Library Law Consultant
Library of Michigan
MembielaC at michigan.gov<mailto:MembielaC at michigan.gov>
517-335-8132
The research and resources above are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem.
Are you a library front line staffer? Join me in becoming an eResources expert by completing the MeL Maven Badge<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmel.org%2F&data=04%7C01%7CMembielaC%40michigan.gov%7C174a7e07f4ba47be4b4908d97d0766e2%7Cd5fb7087377742ad966a892ef47225d1%7C0%7C0%7C637678293000709329%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=%2B6mSB%2BmboX80nXnIZ%2BH7ykHvrzCeiuAEBicH8Snto%2BA%3D&reserved=0>