[Michlib-l] Seeking Board Development Speaker Recommendations

Lacey Torge ltorge28 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 09:16:48 EST 2022

While not exactly what you are looking for, Library Juice Academy offers a
class for new trustees:

https://libraryjuiceacademy.com/shop/course/286-becoming-a-public-library-trustee-what-you-need-to-know/

Becoming a Public Library Trustee: What You Need to Know

$200.00
*Dates: *July 4 - July 31

*Credits: *1.5 CEUs or 15 PDHs

The public library’s job is to provide the best access to information and
support for literacy and learning in the community. But what is the job of
the library trustee? The most important job for a public library board of
trustees is to make sure the library has the resources and support it needs
to fulfill its mission. This means making sure there is adequate budget for
operations, that strategic plans are in place and being implemented, that
appropriate policies are in place to manage library operations, that risk
is anticipated and planned for, and – most of all—that the library has a
strong, visible advocate in the community. This four-week course provides a
practical introduction to these duties of the trustee, as well as how to
work effectively with the library director, how to understand and design
good policy, how to conduct board meetings effectively, and how to evaluate
that effectiveness. Practical exercises, real-life examples, and resources
will demystify library governance and enable new board members to hit the
ground running.