[Michlib-l] First Amendment Audit

Perri Saunders p.saunders at woodlands.lib.mi.us
Tue Jan 11 13:28:09 EST 2022

Just had our first First Amendment Audit.  It went very well, actually.

I spotted them before they came in so we could gather ourselves for a
minute - make sure no patron names were on screens, and the reserve shelf
had no names showing, etc.
Two people (man and woman) came in with cameras.  I welcomed them from the
circ desk as I would anyone else (maybe a *little* more
enthusiastically).  The man asked if we had the U.S. Constitution for
Dummies and we talked about that a little.

I offered to show them around, but they just wanted to walk around and
film.  We only had one patron in here at the time, so when the man started
that way, I just told him that he was welcome to film anywhere in the
public areas as long as he didn't interfere with other patrons' enjoyment
of the library.

We were respectful and, in turn, they were respectful, so it went just
fine.  They were here for about 15 minutes.  I won't lie - it felt like
longer.

I know that this man, FRICN MEDIA, has lots of 1st Amendment Audit videos
on YouTube,  many of which turned confrontational.  We were welcoming,
forthcoming, and really boring.  Score!

Like Kate Andrade said, "It's not if, it's when".  We might as well be
prepared.

Have a great day!
Perri

--