[Michlib-l] First Amendment Audit

Jennifer Noble jnoble at adrian.lib.mi.us
Tue Jan 11 13:37:27 EST 2022

For what it's worth, I think that FRICN MEDIA YouTube channel is a
collective of some sort. We just had an attempted First Amendment Audit
here in Adrian (during which we didn't even engage, due to us being
absorbed in other projects), and the next day there were four comments on
our Facebook page, all leading to the FRICN MEDIA video of this duo's
stroll through downtown. The real kicker is that we didn't even make the
final cut!

Being boring yet polite is definitely the key here.

On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 1:29 PM Perri Saunders via Michlib-l <
michlib-l at mcls.org> wrote:

> Just had our first First Amendment Audit.  It went very well, actually.
>
> I spotted them before they came in so we could gather ourselves for a
> minute - make sure no patron names were on screens, and the reserve shelf
> had no names showing, etc.
> Two people (man and woman) came in with cameras.  I welcomed them from the
> circ desk as I would anyone else (maybe a *little* more
> enthusiastically).  The man asked if we had the U.S. Constitution for
> Dummies and we talked about that a little.
>
> I offered to show them around, but they just wanted to walk around and
> film.  We only had one patron in here at the time, so when the man started
> that way, I just told him that he was welcome to film anywhere in the
> public areas as long as he didn't interfere with other patrons' enjoyment
> of the library.
>
> We were respectful and, in turn, they were respectful, so it went just
> fine.  They were here for about 15 minutes.  I won't lie - it felt like
> longer.
>
> I know that this man, FRICN MEDIA, has lots of 1st Amendment Audit videos
> on YouTube,  many of which turned confrontational.  We were welcoming,
> forthcoming, and really boring.  Score!
>
> Like Kate Andrade said, "It's not if, it's when".  We might as well be
> prepared.
>
> Have a great day!
> Perri
>
> --