[Michlib-l] Countries of the world books for j-nonfiction collection

audrey at rauchholzlibrary.org audrey at rauchholzlibrary.org
Mon Jan 17 15:05:05 EST 2022

Hello Library Community,

We are in the process of reorganizing and replacing outdated books in our
juvenile nonfiction collection and one area in need of updating is our books
on countries of the world. What we have now is mostly made up of the
"Enchantment of the World" series from Scholastic, made up of about 100
books with a page count of 144 pages each. We like the detail and depth that
these longer books offer, making them a good resource for middle school
students. However, they were purchased with a grant back in 2006 and are now
outdated. We are hoping to find a new collection that was published
preferably within the past 3 years and is geared toward middle school
students, not elementary, but aren't sure from our research if such a thing
exists.

What I'm hoping to find out is how other libraries have handled updating
their countries of the world books. Has anyone else done this recently? Did
you find a series you liked that has been published or updated recently? Or
did you opt to instead focus on continents, regions, or cultures rather than
individual countries? Or offer students online resources instead of books?
Or did you do something else entirely?

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thank You!

Audrey Glass