[Michlib-l] Countries of the world books for j-nonfiction collection

audrey at rauchholzlibrary.org audrey at rauchholzlibrary.org
Fri Jan 21 10:20:33 EST 2022

Thank you everyone who replied to my request for info on Countries of the
World books. Here are the responses below for anyone else who is interested:

I just went through the 900s in the youth area, and we were really outdated
too. We still get some Enchantment of the World from Scholastic, but I think
they issue one or two a year. We have some updated country books from
Lerner, the Visual Geography series:
<https://lernerbooks.com/shop/search_results?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=visual+geopgra
phy>
https://lernerbooks.com/shop/search_results?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=visual+geopgrap
hy

We also have a series from ABDO, we updated the countries and US states from
them:  <https://abdobooks.com/series/711-countries-of-the-world-set-2>
https://abdobooks.com/series/711-countries-of-the-world-set-2

I like the Cultures of the World series by Cavendish Square. They publish a
new set quarterly, rotating through and updating in sequence (or at least
that's how they used to do it). I haven't purchased any recently, because
there doesn't appear to be much local interest. But they're much more
comprehensive than the other books on countries I typically see and for just
a fraction more in price.

I was in the same predicament last year as I was working through our
reference materials. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything that equaled the
quality of the series like the one you had. I ended up getting the 2020
World Book encyclopedias at a discounted price and it has A LOT of info on
each of the countries as well as the US states that I was replacing. I hope
this helps you in your search.

I recently have been doing the same for our J-NF collection. I've found the
Cultures of the World series (published by Cavendish) to be a great
replacement. However, they're published on a rolling basis, meaning that
while many would fall in that 3 year range, others are older.

Thanks again for the responses! Our plan moving forward is to look into
these recommended series and also supplement our physical collection with
online resources such as the Britannica School eResource available through
MeL.

Thank you!

Audrey Glass

Youth Librarian