[Michlib-l] Celebrate Juneteenth with PDL!

Holly Hibner hhibner at plymouthlibrary.org
Thu Jun 9 11:51:18 EDT 2022

Hi everyone,

Library staff and patrons are invited to join us at 7:00pm on Wednesday,
June 15 for a Juneteenth celebration! This program is being offered in
hybrid format, both in-person
<https://live-plymouth.pantheonsite.io/event/curators-our-art-juneteenth-celebration-person>
and virtually
<https://live-plymouth.pantheonsite.io/event/curators-our-art-juneteenth-celebration-zoom>.
(Please RSVP using those links.)

*Curators of our Art: A Juneteenth Celebration*
Presented by Dr. Micala Evans and Dr. Imelda Hunt, Eastern Michigan
University Department of Africology and African American Studies

This artistic and historical presentation will include an introduction of
Juneteenth, and provide a sobering description of the shackles and
obstacles that bounded people as property and upheld a system of racism and
negative stereotypes. After that sobering historical storytelling of the
holiday's history, our presentation transitions into stories of resilience
among Africans who endured the hardship of slavery and how they were able
to use the tragedy to curate art that dispelled lies, myths, and
stereotypes of African culture.

Sponsored by the Friends of the Plymouth District Library

Holly Hibner, MLIS (She/Her)
Adult Services Coordinator
Plymouth District Library
223 S. Main Street