[Michlib-l] LM's Library Science Collection - Intellectual Freedom titles

Reish, Karren (MDE) ReishK at michigan.gov
Tue Jun 14 12:55:21 EDT 2022

Dealing with book challenges? Want to prepare for conversations with your community and board about freedom of information and libraries? LM is highlighting topical Library Science titles from our collection in occasional emails. Here are selected intellectual freedom titles purchased recently. You can search MeLCat for LM titles and you can also check our New Library Science Collection titles at http://35.8.7.98/screens/lmftlist.html. REMINDER: Titles are available through interlibrary loan only right now, as our MeLCat delivery is temporarily offline while we prepare to move to a new catalog. you can find the information on interlibrary loan borrowing from the Library of Michigan here - https://www.michigan.gov/libraryofmichigan/about/libuseguidelines/guideforlibraries/interlibrary-loan-guidelines. The page reference state employees, but libraries may also borrow from the collection through interlibrary loan.

Intellectual Freedom titles:

  *   Beyond Banned Books: Defending Intellectual Freedom Throughout Your Library by Kristin Pekoll, ALA Editions, 2019.
  *   Book Banning in 21st Century America by Emily Knox, Rowman & Littlefield, 2015.
  *   Books Under Fire: A Hit List of Banned and Challenged Children's Books by Pat Scales, ALA Editions, 2021.
  *   Defending Frequently Challenged Young Adult Books: A Handbook for Librarians and Educators by Pat Scales, Rowman & Littlefield, 2016.
  *   Intellectual Freedom Issues in School Libraries by April M. Dawkins, Libraries Unlimited, 2021.
  *   Intellectual Freedom Manual by ALA Office for Intellectual Freedom, ALA Editions, 2021.
  *   Practicing Intellectual Freedom in Libraries by Shannon Oltmann, Libraries Unlimited, 2019.
  *   Public Library Collections in the Balance: Censorship, Inclusivity, and the Truth by Jennifer Downey, Libraries Unlimited, 2017.
  *   Teaching Banned Books: 32 Guides for Children and Teens by Pat Scales, ALA Editions 2020.
  *   "Unsuitable" Books: Young Adult Fiction and Censorship by Caren Town, McFarland & Company, 2014.

The Library Science Collection at LM is made possible in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services.

Have a title you'd like us to purchase? Let me know!

Karren Reish
Library Grants Coordinator
Library of Michigan
517-241-0021,  www.michigan.gov/lsta<http://www.michigan.gov/lsta>

May is Teacher Appreciation Month - recognizing outstanding educators. Learn more<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.michigan.gov%2Fmde%2F0%2C4615%2C7-140-5683_13651-495736--%2C00.html&data=05%7C01%7CReishK%40michigan.gov%7Cef7e920782cb4e1cecae08da2c3f8881%7Cd5fb7087377742ad966a892ef47225d1%7C0%7C0%7C637870948662821258%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=ltzA4FCCSeAPwUldaLQDy%2BNSi50Hn37Pd%2Fdla45vtDU%3D&reserved=0>!
[cid:image002.jpg at 01D86607.AA4C7010]