[Michlib-l] Youth & Teen Services Updates

Lancaster, Cathy (MDE) LancasterC5 at michigan.gov
Fri Jun 17 11:57:58 EDT 2022

Collaborative Summer Library Program Annoucement:
CSLP has recently learned that on one occasion, the experience in the 2022 Manual entitled "Hold My Water:
Water Pods and Water Bottles" [on page 202 - 204] led to a number of children becoming sick after they ingested the water pods.
**Please REMOVE THE HOLD MY WATER: WATER PODS AND WATER BOTTLES EXPERIMENT FROM YOUR MANUAL. **
If you still plan to do this experiment this summer, please do so with extreme caution (see the below notes about any experiment done with children) and do not allow the children to ingest the pods!
CSLP's Safety Disclaimer and Waiver of Liability:
We find our reading activities and science experiments fun. At the same time, we suggest that children always have adult supervision and take proper safety precautions when performing reading activities and science experiments.
All science experiments and science activities have the potential for safety issues. Adults should handle or assist with any potentially harmful chemicals. All experiments and activities presented on this website should be used or tried with caution and good common sense judgement.
CSLP shall not be held responsible for any damages or injury resulting from any activities contained within this website.
 Furthermore it is advised to consider the age appropriateness of each individual activity. Each child and situation is different, and CSLP shall not be held liable in the event of an accident or injury.
Keep hands away from eyes when performing any experiments. Wear safety goggles!
Always wash hands thoroughly after trying any experiment. Wash all surfaces and disinfect work areas when the science experiment is finished.
Resources

MeL Juneteenth eResource:
If you would like to learn more about Juneteenth, please check out this brief article found on Explora, one of our MeL eResources: https://bit.ly/MeLJuneteenth.

Welcoming Library: I'm Your Neighbor Books<https://imyourneighborbooks.org/welcoming-library/>
I'm Your Neighbor Books offers The Welcoming Library, a pop-up conversation on immigration and our new generation communities. That conversation is driven by a collection of acclaimed picture books featuring New Arrival and New Generation families. Readers of all ages "meet" these families on the page and explore the commonalities shared by all families. This exploration is done with I'm Your Neighbor Books-created discussion questions as well as companion programming and education materials. The collection - with its pop-up display unit - packs into two crates and travels between schools, libraries, and community centers in a given region, building an environment of welcoming and belonging.

Printables & Activities that Celebrate Black Love<https://www.readbrightly.com/black-love-printables-activities> by Brightly
No matter your background, it is important to find books and activities that offer powerful messages of affirmation and acceptance to our kids. Our list of printables and posters celebrate Black Love, offer an opportunity to embrace all the ways that we are unique, and help Black and Brown children love all the parts of themselves.

Listen Up! Podcasts for the Whole Family<https://www.readbrightly.com/podcasts-for-the-whole-family/> from Brightly
In the News...
Phonological Awareness: Why This Skill Set Is So Important for Young Readers<https://www.readbrightly.com/phonological-awareness-why-this-skill-set-is-so-important-for-young-readers> - Brightly, 6.12.22
Make Story Time Welcoming for All Children<https://www.slj.com/story/newsfeatures/make-story-time-welcoming-for-all-children-early-learning-public-libraries> - SLJ, 6.16.22
Librarians Support Students Amid Anti-LGBTQIA+ Legislation, Challenges<https://www.slj.com/story/newsfeatures/librarians-support-students-amid-anti-lgbtqia-legislation-challenges> - SLJ, 6.7.22
Mirrors and Windows... Literature where children see themselves and others<https://higherlogicdownload.s3-external-1.amazonaws.com/ALA/ecbe08d9-15b2-4ccc-b033-82367fc44658_file.pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAVRDO7IEREB57R7MT&Expires=1655387178&Signature=tE4xBGIJLd2Bd5x41quUYLOfYS4%3D> - The Ohio State University College of Education and Ecology Newsletter, Spring 2022

Happy Juneteenth weekend!

Cathy Lancaster
Youth Services Coordinator
Library of Michigan
702 W. Kalamazoo St.
Lansing, MI 48915
My Pronouns: She/Her/Hers - See www.mypronouns.org<http://www.mypronouns.org/> to learn more.
LancasterC5 at michigan.gov<mailto:LancasterC5 at michigan.gov> | 517-335-8129 | www.mi.gov/libraryofmichigan<http://www.mi.gov/libraryofmichigan>
Follow us: Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/libraryofmichigan/> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/libraryofmich> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/libraryofmichigan/>

Join the MiYouth<https://gcc01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail2.mcls.org%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fmiyouth&data=02%7C01%7CNorrisS2%40michigan.gov%7Caf51448f1e92415533aa08d6f4b53328%7Cd5fb7087377742ad966a892ef47225d1%7C0%7C0%7C636965456410852648&sdata=nModcBWFyzGoDGK%2FtwsSeAXV%2F85AQKEtzzQQj%2FV%2B5fM%3D&reserved=0> Listserv, created for Michigan public library staff to share and discuss children and teen programming and services.

Nourishing Michigan's Future during the summer!  Find a Summer Food Service Program site nearest you and encourage Michigan's children to Meet Up and Eat Up!    www.michigan.gov/meetupeatup<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.michigan.gov%2Fmeetupeatup&data=05%7C01%7CLancasterC5%40michigan.gov%7C229be3d5c395412479f308da43410928%7Cd5fb7087377742ad966a892ef47225d1%7C0%7C0%7C637896243866000963%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=TAVqUQZWI4Olj0Ke5WHRCblgPhdB9f%2BTuFOf8qdGT1A%3D&reserved=0>

[cid:image001.png at 01D8823E.2A871A30]