[Michlib-l] U.P. Notable Books Club Announces 3rd Year Lineup of Local Authors

Victor R. Volkman victor at LHPress.com
Wed Mar 16 16:15:06 EDT 2022

      For Immediate Release…

*Contact: Victor Volkman
(734) 417-4266
President at UPPAA.org*
www.UPPAA.org <http://www.UPPAA.org>

      U.P. Notable Books Club Announces 3rd Year Lineup of Local Authors

*Official Seal of the U.P. Notable Books
<http://www.upnotable.com/2020/04/02/announcing-1st-annual-u-p-notable-books-list/>*Reading
local authors has great informational and educational value and
contributes toward cultural enrichment. Continuing into their second
year of book selections,*the U.P. Notable Books Club *is hosting a
series of discussions with authors of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula to
engage community members with local authors. All residents of the U.P.
are invited to participate with no cost or obligation.  To date, 15
authors have already appeared in the program and many of their
appearances can be seen on the *http://video.UPPAA.org*
<http://video.UPPAA.org> channel.

 From June 9, 2021 to January 12, 2023, eight additional authors will do
Zoom talks with readers, both revealing new background details as well
as answering reader questions about their work. Readers can buy these
eight books, or check them out from their local library in order to
discuss with the authors. Many are available in eBook editions at the
Great Lakes Digital Library thanks to the efforts of Superiorland
Library Co-op. Authors participating in year three will include

  * Ellen Airgood -- "Tin Camp Road"
  * Joanna Walitalo -- "Woodburnings: .Highlights from the First Five
    Years "
  * Phil Bellfy -- " U.P. Colony: The Story of Resource Exploitation in
    Upper Michigan"
  * Raymond Luczak  -- "Once Upon a Twin: Poems"
  * Terri Martin -- "The Home Wind"
  * Karen Dionne -- "The Wicked Sister"
  * Carole Hare -- "Legend of Kitchi-iti-kipi"
  * Sharon Kennedy -- "The Sideroad Kids:  Tales from Chippewa County "

The complete event schedule is available online at www.UPNotable.com
<http://www.UPNotable.com>, click on the "*Join Book Club*" button

“What inspires me the most about our club is the positive feedback from
Local Authors and Patrons alike,” says Evelyn Gathu, Director of the
Crystal Falls District Community Library, who is the creator and
organizer of the club. “After every book club meeting we have, I get
emails from patrons thanking me for creating the club.” She tells that
the library circulation has definitely increased because of the book
club, indicating an increased love of reading the works of local authors
in the community.
*UP Notable Books Club authors: Karen Dionne, Phil Bellfy, and Sharon M,
Kennedy*
Why local authors are less read, on the whole, than those widely
publicized in mainstream media seems a matter of presumption or
prejudgment. And Gathu agrees:

    “I think some people do not believe that books written by local
    authors are as good as those produced nationally, and this book club
    is really helping to deflate that stigma!”

She tells that she had read in the local paper that the first ever U.P.
Notable Books List was created by the editors of the U.P. Reader and
UPPAA (Upper Peninsula Publishers & Authors Association). This led her
to contact UPPAA President, Victor R. Volkman, and he was thrilled with
the idea of local authors interacting with the readers in the community.
More information about the U.P. Notable Book list, U.P. Book Review, and
UPPAA can be found at www.UPNotable.com <http://www.upnotable.com/>.

**
***About the Upper Peninsula Publishers and Authors Association (UPPAA)*
**Established in 1998 to support authors and publishers who live in or
write about Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, UPPAA is a Michigan nonprofit
association with more than 100 members, many of whose books are featured
on the organization’s website at www.uppaa.org
<https://uppaa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b1016c5c910959a236f2ff48f&id=41e6e3b585&e=fd2c186103>.
UPPAA welcomes membership and participation from anyone with a UP
connection who is interested in writing and publishing books.
**
*# # #*

--
Regards,