[Michlib-l] Registration open! U-M Middle-school student/caregiver online Digital Wellness Symposium coming 1/21

Kristin Fontichiaro font at umich.edu
Wed Nov 16 14:18:52 EST 2022

Hi, everyone! Posting this announcement in hopes that you know families who
would be interested ...

Calling 6th, 7th and 8th Graders and Their Parents/Caregivers!

Middle school can be a time when kids are getting their first phones,
texting, signing up for social media, and exploring the web on their own.
Sometimes, online life is fun and rewarding, connecting us to our interests
and the people we care about. At other times, it can feel overwhelming,
addictive, or manipulative.

The past two years have reminded us of how much we rely on our devices. We
want kids to thrive when they are online, and we want parents and
caregivers to have confidence and tools for supporting that journey.

Please join us Saturday, January 21st, from 9:00 a.m.—12:00 p.m., for the
U-M Digital Wellness Conference! We’re looking for two-person teams (middle
schooler plus parent/caregiver) to join us on Zoom for a fun morning of
learning, conversation, and activities about healthy online behaviors.
There will be time for tween/teen-only activities with U-M students, time
for adults to engage Q&A with the featured speaker, breaks to get up and
move around and at-home conversation prompts or challenge activities to
complete together.

Our Keynote speaker will be an expert on digital wellness and health from
CommonSense Media.

Each family that participates will receive a Digital Wellness care package
after the symposium which includes the book Raising Humans in a Digital
World: Helping Kids Build a Healthy Relationship with Technology
<https://www.amazon.com/Raising-Humans-Digital-World-Relationship/>. As
well as some fun Michigan swag!

There is a small fee associated with participation ($15 per family), this
fee helps to cover the cost of the symposium. However, we do not want the
fee to deter anyone so we have a free option as well. Please choose the
option that works best for your family.

Thanks!
Kristin Fontichiaro, U-M School of Information
Liz Kolb, U-M School of Education

--
Kristin Fontichiaro
4427 North Quad