[Michlib-l] What is the future of your audiobook on CD collection?

galvang at libcoop.net galvang at libcoop.net
Tue Jul 11 12:55:41 EDT 2023

Hi, I can't speak to the books on CD at my library but I can speak to
music CDs. Books on CD are a different librarian's collection, while I
handle physical music. My community is older retirees some families and
college students. Many of them still have CD players in their cars and
at home. We were also closed for Covid like everyone else and then
closed for new building construction. 2/3 of my music CDs have not gone
out for 3 years. I have to take in consideration that we were closed for
an extended amount of time. I did a 5 year analysis of my CDs. 1/4-1/3
of music CDs have not circed in 5 years. According to my director, we
will continue to offer CDs to the community, but I plan to shrink it
next year. I know we have put more money into digital offerings since
the apps are popular. I do think having a variety of formats to meet all
patrons needs should be considered before completely weeding any one
section.

---
Grace Galvan (she/her)

User Experience Librarian - Shelby Township Library
52610 Van Dyke Ave.
Shelby Township, MI 48316
Phone: 586-726-2341
MLIS- University of Denver

"A library outranks any other one thing a community can do to benefit
its people. It is a never failing spring in the desert." Andrew Carnegie