[Michlib-l] Youth & Teen Services Updates

Lancaster, Cathy (MDE) LancasterC5 at michigan.gov
Fri Jun 2 12:09:16 EDT 2023

Resources

Impact Libraries
Computational Thinking (CT) is essential for youth to thrive in our technology-rich world. CT is the ability to use computational strategies, concepts, and devices to solve problems and create and design features, tools, and technologies. CT is being extensively taught and practiced in youth public library programs. The IMPACT Libraries project team at the University of Maryland designed assessment tools to assess CT learning outcomes that will assist library staff to reflect, improve, and showcase the impact of their programs. These assessment tools are suitable for assessing CT programs offered to youth between the ages of 11 to 18 years old. Through interviews with library staff across the United States, we identified seven CT learning outcomes that can be achieved through library CT programs: positive experiences, confidence, dispositions, skills, conceptual learning, access and equity, and future learning/career preparation. To learn more about the computational thinking outcomes you can assess, the assessment tools, and best practices and examples from library staff who used the tools, please visit our webinar page<https://impact.ischool.umd.edu/webinars-2/> to view the recordings. Below are the details of what was covered in each webinar:

  1.  Assessment tools to collect direct data from youth - Build-Your-Own Interview Protocol and the Talkback Boards.
  2.  Assessment tools to collect observational data - Design Challenge, the CT Conceptual Learning Rubric, and the Dispositions Checklist.
  3.  Assessment tools to collect data from youth and facilitators - CT Confidence Survey and the Facilitator Self-Assessment.

In addition to the webinars, we invite you to browse our website<https://impact.ischool.umd.edu/>, where you will find additional resources such as case studies and our publications. If you have any questions, please contact us at impact at umd.edu<mailto:impact at umd.edu> - Dr. Mega Subramaniam, Dr. David Weintrop, and Nitzan Koren

Colorado Libraries for Early Literacy
CLEL is seeking presenters for the 2023 Virtual Conference<https://www.clel.org/professional-development/conference/>, scheduled for September 21 & 22, 11:00 am - 4:30 pm. The virtual conference offers two different opportunities to share your knowledge and experience: Break Out Session Presenters and Discussion Facilitators. All presentations will be delivered live virtually via Hopin.<https://hopin.com/>
Presentations and Discussions will be 50 minutes long. Examples of the variety of topics are in the proposal link<https://forms.gle/onHKDou8cdwQNvTJ7>. Major areas include Early Literacy Foundations, Early Literacy Leadership and News in this field. Break Out Session Presenters will prepare and lead a virtual presentation related to the field of early literacy. Discussion Facilitators will lead a casual sharing of knowledge, resources and help build connections.
Proposals will be accepted April 3 - June 10 and applicants will be notified by July 31st.
Questions? Please email conference at clel.org<mailto:conference at clel.org>

[cid:image001.png at 01D99548.E44A0360]

Power Up 2024
A Leadership Conference for Youth Services Managers & Staff
Call for Proposals Now Open!
The Power Up Conference Committee wants your program proposals for Power Up 2024 to be held March 21-22, 2024, in Madison, WI. Every selected session will receive one complimentary conference registration. Submit your idea<https://ischool.wisc.edu/continuing-education/power-up/cfp/> by August 6th, 2023.
We are also excited to announce our keynotes for the conference.  Our opening keynote will be Past President of ALSC and REFORMA and award-winning author Lucia Gonzalez. Closing out the conference will be Mimi Ito, author of eight books, including Hanging Out, Messing Around, and Geeking Out: Youth Living and Learning with New Media.  Conference details: ischool.wisc.edu/power-up/2024<https://ischool.wisc.edu/power-up/2024>

Reminder: LM CE Stipends are available to attend conferences and workshops, thanks to support from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
Find out more at: https://www.michigan.gov/libraryofmichigan/libraries/ce/scholarships/library-continuing-education-stipend-program.
Detroit Zoo Coupons for Summer Reading Now Available!
Once again, The Detroit Zoological Society is providing promo codes for a free children's ticket (with the purchase of an adult ticket) prize for completing summer reading goals. Tickets must be purchased online using the link provided on each regional flyer. Tickets must be purchased between June 1-August 31st, however those tickets can be scheduled for a Zoo visit through December 31, 2023.
Due to the Zoo's need for data, there are different codes for various regions and the easiest way for them to create those regions was based on the Michigan Library Cooperatives map<https://i0.wp.com/micoops.info/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/mi_coop_map_2020-scaled.jpg?ssl=1>.
Please print and distribute flyers to pass to patrons who have completed a reading goal according to the region in which your library is located. These links are not for sharing out publicly.

  *   Detroit Library Cooperative<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nM8-A9CFGhJxv-yr9gGE98Iu_EyFpMhj/view?usp=sharing>
  *   Lakeland Library Cooperative<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iyPK5Rsi1HnpMRh1i1SWcfyuMWhV5fG-/view?usp=sharing>
  *   The Library Network<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zPCwQl7Y4bIjgMP8I3s3ETzD9Qxyf2ex/view?usp=sharing>
  *   Mideastern Michigan Library Cooperative<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eiOqVicnG9CvKOOZ3II0tFdkmVFaQ5Qq/view?usp=sharing>
  *   Mid-Michigan Library League<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MEQuatMXdRo07FWN6NCAcqNGM3y5to4m/view?usp=sharing>
  *   Northland Library Cooperative<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ylmBsaqxaz_BGfiB0P69RnJ5TN3ikhkA/view?usp=sharing>
  *   Superiorland Library Cooperative<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HuSVVTG2TahkrwJbq3sgcVoD7hjSXg_t/view?usp=sharing>
  *   Southwest Michigan Library Cooperative<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pqWsZ9SIKuIKH3PjqvCpHDtywWibu5ub/view?usp=sharing>
  *   Suburban Library Cooperative<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1blyAmXQ5Az14MWTGsfDPj7nJvBEQivoa/view?usp=sharing>
  *   White Pine Library Cooperative<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wVn6r2e-Z8UF7iTu49BDsH1pMKoaudly/view?usp=sharing>
  *   Woodlands Library Cooperative<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QiHHBEZA-ezi3iezudmnc4eG5K82KB67/view?usp=sharing>
If none of these Cooperatives apply for your library, there is a General flyer<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t2EAHymZgaIUhVHmGcFNQWlRHNiEARSz/view?usp=sharing> available in the Zoo's Flyer Folder<https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Yn9eGNo2E3GF9Y1xf8d53MGqFB2u83Jf?usp=sharing>.
A huge "Thank you!" to the DZS for supporting libraries and summer reading!
In the News...
Michigan college enrollment decline among worst in the nation<https://www.bridgemi.com/talent-education/michigan-college-enrollment-decline-among-worst-nation> - Bridge Michigan, 5/31/23

Wishing you all the best with your summer programming kick-offs!
Cathy Lancaster
Youth Services Coordinator
Library of Michigan
702 W. Kalamazoo St.