[Michlib-l] Youth & Teen Services Updates

Lancaster, Cathy (MDE) LancasterC5 at michigan.gov
Fri Jun 9 15:28:27 EDT 2023

Virtual Teen Game Night
What is Virtual Teen Game Night?
A casual, virtual hangout with online board and trivia type games for teens from all over Michigan. The event is hosted through Zoom and includes games on a variety of online platforms.
(VTGN defines "teens' as grades 6-12, but is flexible based on individual library requirements.)
When is VTGN?
Game Night is a bi-weekly(ish) program happening on the 1st & 3rd Thursday of each month from 6:30-7:30pm. We sometimes offer a bonus week if there's a 5th Thursday and we have enough staff to co-host.
(We are open to different days/times)
How does my library participate?
Libraries interested in participating should have a staff member who can occasionally help co-host. Staff are not expected to know how to play every game but are expected to have a basic familiarity with Zoom, BGA (Board Game Arena), and Jackbox Games as programs. Other game platforms, such as STEAM may be offered based on availability and access.
I'm In! Now what?
Each game night includes at least 2 library staff members who host the zoom and facilitate games; participating libraries will coordinate with one another to schedule which library staff will host each date. You do not need to staff every VTGN to participate.
The teens can then sign up with their respective libraries, or with our VTGN Google form; a meeting link for the zoom is then sent to those who sign up. Games are played either through the website Board Game Arena, or on Jackbox Games. Jackbox requires no sign up, BGA does require an account but is free to join. A computer or laptop is recommended, but teens can participate with a smartphone or tablet.
I want to participate, but am not sure Virtual is the right option for me...
No worries! If you want to host this program in person, you can! Simply schedule an in-house program and encourage your teens to bring a personal device for gameplay or provide computers for them to join. Then join our zoom and project the meeting for your teens to listen and watch while they play!
If you have any interest in participating, please fill out this short interest survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfB9DsMa87Yf3o_rNspkvlbkecFguev48mLkMCRLUqt3g1VuQ/viewform?usp=sf_link
Still not sure if VTGN is right for your library or want to know more? Reach out! VTGN members will get in touch to help answer any questions you have! gamenightlibraries at gmail.com<mailto:gamenightlibraries at gmail.com>
Detroit Zoo Coupons for Summer Reading
The Detroit Zoological Society is providing promo codes for a free children's ticket (with the purchase of an adult ticket*) prize for completing summer reading goals. Tickets* must be purchased online using the link provided on each regional flyer. Tickets must be purchased between June 1-August 31st; however those tickets can be scheduled for a Zoo visit through December 31, 2023.
Due to the Zoo's need for data, there are different codes for various regions and the easiest way for them to create those regions was based on the Michigan Library Cooperatives map<https://i0.wp.com/micoops.info/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/mi_coop_map_2020-scaled.jpg?ssl=1>.
Please print and distribute flyers to pass to patrons who have completed a reading goal according to the region in which your library is located. These links are not for sharing out publicly.

  *   Detroit Library Cooperative<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nM8-A9CFGhJxv-yr9gGE98Iu_EyFpMhj/view?usp=sharing>
  *   Lakeland Library Cooperative<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iyPK5Rsi1HnpMRh1i1SWcfyuMWhV5fG-/view?usp=sharing>
  *   The Library Network<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zPCwQl7Y4bIjgMP8I3s3ETzD9Qxyf2ex/view?usp=sharing>
  *   Mideastern Michigan Library Cooperative<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eiOqVicnG9CvKOOZ3II0tFdkmVFaQ5Qq/view?usp=sharing>
  *   Mid-Michigan Library League<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MEQuatMXdRo07FWN6NCAcqNGM3y5to4m/view?usp=sharing>
  *   Northland Library Cooperative<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ylmBsaqxaz_BGfiB0P69RnJ5TN3ikhkA/view?usp=sharing>
  *   Superiorland Library Cooperative<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HuSVVTG2TahkrwJbq3sgcVoD7hjSXg_t/view?usp=sharing>
  *   Southwest Michigan Library Cooperative<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pqWsZ9SIKuIKH3PjqvCpHDtywWibu5ub/view?usp=sharing>
  *   Suburban Library Cooperative<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1blyAmXQ5Az14MWTGsfDPj7nJvBEQivoa/view?usp=sharing>
  *   White Pine Library Cooperative<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wVn6r2e-Z8UF7iTu49BDsH1pMKoaudly/view?usp=sharing>
  *   Woodlands Library Cooperative<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QiHHBEZA-ezi3iezudmnc4eG5K82KB67/view?usp=sharing>
If none of these Cooperatives apply for your library, there is a General flyer<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t2EAHymZgaIUhVHmGcFNQWlRHNiEARSz/view?usp=sharing> available in the Zoo's Flyer Folder<https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Yn9eGNo2E3GF9Y1xf8d53MGqFB2u83Jf?usp=sharing>.
A huge "Thank you!" to the DZS for supporting libraries and summer reading!
*Coupons are 1 child per 1 adult, so encourage large families to bring friends/relatives!

All the best to you for your summer kick-offs!

Cathy Lancaster
Youth Services Coordinator
Library of Michigan
702 W. Kalamazoo St.